1mm Drills & chucks

Sponsored Links
My little Dremel has the collet chuck principle, as well as a small conventional chuck......works well enough but for a 1mm drill, a collet is preferable.
John :)

now there's a thought, I have access to a dremmel I wonder if one of the collets would fit a 1mm drill - I'm sure it don't have any traditional type chuck

Or a pin chuck (sometimes called jeweller's chucks) - specifically designed to hold smaller tools and cutters. Larger chucks have flats on the jaws which limit them to about 1.5 or 2mm or so minimum diameter. Pin chucks overcome this. Trend have a 1/4in hex bit adaptor which holds a 1mm drill bit in a spiral spring collet (Snappy range)

BTW, does your drill run sufficiently concentric to accommodate such a small drill without breakage? A lot of cordlesses aren't that good

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
That's a pin chuck....:)
Indeed, and I also noted your comments around on not running concentric, I will examine that when next in the workshop. it certainly wasn't running that concentrically with some wire wrapped around the drill to get the chuck to grip - but I did get the job done without snapping the drill.

I also ordered that collet set from the OP. for £3 I can't go far wrong - its from china so could be a while (or may be beat the chuck ordered from the UK)

Or a pin chuck (sometimes called jeweller's chucks) - specifically designed to hold smaller tools and cutters. Larger chucks have flats on the jaws which limit them to about 1.5 or 2mm or so minimum diameter. Pin chucks overcome this. Trend have a 1/4in hex bit adaptor which holds a 1mm drill bit in a spiral spring collet (Snappy range)

BTW, does your drill run sufficiently concentric to accommodate such a small drill without breakage? A lot of cordlesses aren't that good
Why are cordless drills so poor at not running concentric ? I have access to about 4, all good makes and good tools, but put a small drill in and it is clear they wobble too much.

Got both the pin chuck and the collets now, both are excellent for holding small drills, the collets are probably better as they hold the drill closer to the main chuck, but it still wobbles a bit.

its worth noting a 3/8ths[8mm] chuck will tend to go down to 1.5mm and 1/2" [13mm] will do 2mm
aaannnddd
pilot holes in wood or softish plastics panel pins ----a bit off a faff sometimes getting it concentric but cheap wont break and come in large multi packs

Why are cordless drills so poor at not running concentric ? I have access to about 4, all good makes and good tools, but put a small drill in and it is clear they wobble too much.
Cheap chucks, cheap drills. I have a Makita DHP481 which comes as standard with a very high quality all-metal Japanese chuck and that runs true. Those chucks are more than £100 bought as a spare part. The couple of cheaper Makita drills I've got are awful in comparison. At one time if you bought a pillar drill you could pretty much guarantee chuck run-out measured on thous - these days there's a lot of cheap Far Eastern junk around where you can almost measure the run-out with a tape measure. For big drills on woodworking or home projects this often isn't an issue - not true when you start using tiny drill bits, though,

pilot holes in wood or softish plastics panel pins
Back in the days of "egg whisk" drills, and for those of you who don't know what I'm wittering on about, I am referring to the original environmentally-friendly cordless drill:

Stanley 803 Double-Pinnion Hand Drill.png

pilot holes for woodworking were often produced by taking a panel pin or the like, snipping off the end with your nipper, chucking the beheaded pin in the drill, then drilling a hole. Works with small nails, too. Surprisingly effective and if you are piloting for something like gimp pins, panel pins, small nails or the like it produces a hole that matches the fastening you are using (obviously). There were also jewelers' versions of these drills with chucks that could hold drills down to a fraction of a millimetre diameter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back