1mm in mcb (how many)?

Surprise surprise part p again ?
I haven’t even began to think about starting this job yet I did intend to run the cables myself and get a sparks (who has done work for me in the past) to install a new CU.
So you won't be installing the CU but you're designing constraints into how the electrician can do it?

And do all the testing etc.
I really couldn't care less whether you want to comply with the Building Regulations or not - only you know how obvious it will be that you've had notifiable work done, and only you know how you'll deal with the lack of certificates if ever you sell, but if your idea of "etc" is that the electrician will notify the council that he did the work then you should be aware that he won't - it doesn't work like that.

And as this work will be done over some time I was looking for the easy option.
So if it's being done over time, at what point did you plan to get the new CU installed and the testing done? What were your plans regarding the testing of the circuits you install or extend before that point, and after that point?

And why isn't it just as easy to loop through the switches as you go, stopping whenever you've gone as far as you intend to at that time?

some of us are just looking for some advice on how to do the job safely.
You seem a bit reluctant to take advice which does not fit with what you've already planned to do....

as for testing/ faultfinding etc how hard is it to remove the ends from the breakers.?
Not hard at all, but once removed you've got, in effect, 6 circuits to test rather than 1 or 2, so expect it to take longer and cost more.

Sponsored Links
a big thank you for all your advice i do appreciate all your comments even if it sounds like i only want to hear that what i want to do will be ok thats not the case i understand all the implications with not complying with building regs.
some will (not me) find a way around it and not say anything.
i will do some of the cable runs that will not need to be live until the new CU is installed again not by me.
i was just trying to find out if my idea was viable and thanks to you i can see the problems it will create so i will be going for the loop's into the switches so thanks to all for your advice.
i have got plenty of very useful information on this forum and it is not my intention to argue with anyone who knows what they are talking about so thanks again.

one last point
(i know of at least two people (not electricians) who have rewired there own house themselves and sold on without any problems what-so-ever)
if its done to a good standard whos bothered?

Possibly nobody.

Possibly you would be handing your prospective buyer a big stick to hit you with until you drop the price by far more than is reasonable - it all depends on their attitude and where the pendulum is at the time on the buyers <-> sellers market swing.

The main thing would be, when asked if you'd done or had done any notifiable work, to tell the truth, because a lie makes your house sale fraudulent, and fraud involving transactions for hundreds of thousands of pounds is a serious offence.

Sponsored Links
one last point
(i know of at least two people (not electricians) who have rewired there own house themselves and sold on without any problems what-so-ever)

I hope they sleep well in their beds......me?, I wouldn't like to buy a house off someone who had re-wired it themselves (unless they were a qualified electrician with paperwork intact) but, then again, I have a partner and two young girls to think about - and I wouldn't risk their lives for anything!

And who exactly inspected the 'good standard' that these two cowboys worked to? Themselves??

Your attitude is all wrong, I'm afraid. :eek:

By the way - doing cable runs yourself, that don't need to be live until your new CU is fitted .........won't get you an EIC for the new CU :)

Then again, you don't care anyway, do you? :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back