Max load on a 1mm T&E cable

No one seems yet to have commented, at least not explicitly, on the fact that, unless it can be argued to be a "lighting circuit" (and, try as I may .... :) ), use of 1mm² cable is non-compliant with the regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Incidentally, a "lighting circuit" is not defined in BS 7671. It's not entirely logical either to make different rules for "lighting" and "power" circuits.

Sponsored Links
Then there's the regs around how much space you have to leave in a conduit to prevent this very problem from occurring.
True (although, as you go on to say, 'the regs' don't actually say 'how much' space), but if the cable CSA is too small to be compliant, even an enormous conduit wouldn't bring it into compliance!
I can't find any direct reference to spacing factor in the regs, but 522.8.1 would cover it.
As with many things, the regs themselves don't impose any explicit criteria as regards 'overcrowding' of conduit - one has to look to the OSG for 'guidance' about that.

Kind Regards, John

Incidentally, a "lighting circuit" is not defined in BS 7671.
Indeed it's not - but I find it hard to believe that anyone would seriously suggest that a circuit feeing UFH should come into the definition!
It's not entirely logical either to make different rules for "lighting" and "power" circuits.
I think you're being unnecessarily restrained - I would suggest that it's entirely illogical! Let's face it, if one applied 'everyday definitions', a dedicated circuit supplying, say, just a bell transformer would be thought of as a 'power circuit', yet a circuit supplying 3kW of light fittings would be called a 'lighting circuit'! It makes no sense to me - but, at least for some, 'regs is regs'!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed it's not - but I find it hard to believe that anyone would seriously suggest that a circuit feeing UFH should come into the definition!

True. But let's say an extractor fan or smoke alarms or whatever fed from the same circuit as lighting. Is that a lighting circuit? (If it suited me then I would argue that it is!)

Sponsored Links
Wow, a lot of traffic! Well, the justification to change the cable is actually quite simple as it turns out.

In practice, the heat from the cable warms up the metal conduit which then conducts to the metal back box. This then falsely tells the thermostat (mounted in the back box) that the room is up to temp and the heating switches off after about 15 minutes (at which point the room has not actually warmed up at all).

I think a 1.5mm cable will fit in the conduit without too much of an additional squeeze or I could ask to use 2.5mm cables but they'd have to be removed from the grey outer plastic first in order to fit and I don't know if that is allowed.

Cheers,

iep

True. But let's say an extractor fan or smoke alarms or whatever fed from the same circuit as lighting. Is that a lighting circuit? (If it suited me then I would argue that it is!)
Exactly - which is why we have both agreed that the (attempt at a) distinction is totally daft. In the OP's case, of course, I presume that the UFH feed probably comes from a sockets circuit - so, no matter how one looks at it, it's unlikely to qualify as a a lighting circuit'!

Kind Regards, John

2.5mm cables but they'd have to be removed from the grey outer plastic first in order to fit and I don't know if that is allowed.
It could be rewired in singles.

You may be able to use only one neutral and one (or none if you use the conduit) CPC (earth)

Wow, a lot of traffic! Well, the justification to change the cable is actually quite simple as it turns out.
Indeed - it is simply non-compliant with the regulations!
I think a 1.5mm cable will fit in the conduit without too much of an additional squeeze or I could ask to use 2.5mm cables but they'd have to be removed from the grey outer plastic first in order to fit and I don't know if that is allowed.
One wouldn't remove them from the outer sheath, but would use (flexible) single cables, and the conduit would definitely have to be earthed (it probably is already). However, it sounds as if there might possibly still be a space problem - i.e. it sounds as if the conduit is really too small!

Kind Regards, John

I hadn't realised the table ad changed. It used to be 1mm for power and lighting in the red book.

I gather it is okay to rewire with singles because they would still be sheathed in the earthed conduit?

If I could use the conduit as earth then a single 2.5mm Live and Neutral will easily fit within the space vacated by the 1mm T&E. This would solve both the impedance and overcrowding issues in one step.

Smells like a potential winner to me.

Thanks for all the inputs. FYI, the fused outlet runs on a dedicated 2.5mm spur back to a dedicated RCBO in the C.U.

There is absolutely no way this could be confused with a lighting circuit and I guess the spark just took the path of least resistance when trying to cram all the cables into the conduit.

Cheers,

iep

I hadn't realised the table ad changed. It used to be 1mm for power and lighting in the red book.
Indeed - we discussed that here fairly recently. In fact, in the BRB, there is no distinction made in that Table - "lighting and power circuits" is a single entity - with, as you say, a minimum CSA of 1mm² .

AS I've been discussing with others above, the attempt at a distinction seems totally daft - and unnecessary!

Kind Regards, John

2.5mm cables but they'd have to be removed from the grey outer plastic first in order to fit and I don't know if that is allowed.
It could be rewired in singles.

You may be able to use only one neutral and one (or none if you use the conduit) CPC (earth)

But the conduit system would have to be complete to use singles.

I gather it is okay to rewire with singles because they would still be sheathed in the earthed conduit?
Yep, that's why I said that it would then be essential that teh conduit was properly earthed.
If I could use the conduit as earth then a single 2.5mm Live and Neutral will easily fit within the space vacated by the 1mm T&E. This would solve both the impedance and overcrowding issues in one step. Smells like a potential winner to me.
Indeed. I'd personally prefer to have an earth single in there as well, if it would fit, rather than rely on the conduit - but others will probably disagree with me!
Thanks for all the inputs. FYI, the fused outlet runs on a dedicated 2.5mm spur back to a dedicated RCBO in the C.U.
When you say dedicated spur and dedicated RCBO, do you mean that the RCBO only supplies the UFH? If so, one certainly couldn't call it a lighting circuit! What size/rating is the RCBO?
There is absolutely no way this could be confused with a lighting circuit and I guess the spark just took the path of least resistance when trying to cram all the cables into the conduit.
Probably - aka 'naughty'! However, he might have just been a little 'behind the times'. As you will have seen, prior to the current amendment of regs coming into force (in 2011), 1mm² cable was permitted for 'power' circuits, and that cable size would theoretically be adequate for your UFH, give or take the cramming into conduit!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. I'd personally prefer to have an earth single in there as well, if it would fit, rather than rely on the conduit - but others will probably disagree with me!

Although it is commonly done nowadays, it is a bit pointless when you consider the fault current that the conduit will carry and that of the so-called dedicated cpc within it. But it could be useful if you are concerned about the conduit corroding.

Although it is commonly done nowadays, it is a bit pointless when you consider the fault current that the conduit will carry and that of the so-called dedicated cpc within it. But it could be useful if you are concerned about the conduit corroding.
I predicted right :) Sure, provided the conduit and all it's joints are satisfactory and intact (and remain so), then "it is a bit pointless" to also have an earth conductor, and I know many electricians feel that way. I just feel more confident knowing that there is a continuous copper (essentially immune from corrosion!) conductor between the two ends, not dependent on assorted (probably 'concealed') mechanical joints (and survival of the conduit itself) for electrical continuity.

I've just raised an interesting point that I've never thought of before! As we know, concealed (e.g. buried) joints in cables are not generally allowed (with the well-known excepts of crimping/soldering/MF JBs etc.), and I presume that includes CPCs as well as live conductors. Does that not mean that concealed (mechanical) joints in conduit are also not allowed, if that conduit is being used as a CPC? :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back