Max load on a 1mm T&E cable

Sponsored Links
As per question about RCBO. Yes, it's a dedicated 2.5mm cable going back to a dedicated 16A RCBO (only feeds UFH). No real room for confusion.

Conduit is al indoors (in kitchen) so no real likelyhood of corrosion. That said, I like belt and braces so might well see about squeezing in a dedicated earth cable too.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Possibly, I have not thought about that. But IME, a cpc is run inside metal conduit anyway, to avoid the problem of high-resistance joints causing poor cpc continuity.

Possibly, I have not thought about that. But IME, a cpc is run inside metal conduit anyway, to avoid the problem of high-resistance joints causing poor cpc continuity.
.."have not thought about" what? (the lack of a quote leaves me guessing :) ). You seem to be saying exactly the same as me.

Kind Regards, John

Had to get the green regs out when I got to the office this morning :LOL:

1382512504.png

1382512517.png

Had to get the green regs out when I got to the office this morning :LOL:
You didn't trust what I told you yesterday? - at least you presumably now believe me! :)

It remains very difficult to understand why on earth they made this change, particularly given the lack of definitions and confusion caused by 'mixed circuits'. As I wrote yesterday, it seems irrational that (I presume) a dedicated circuit for a bell transformer needs 1.5mm², whereas (all other thinkg being equal) a 2kW 'lighting circuit' could be wired in 1mm²

Kind Regards, John

.."have not thought about" what? (the lack of a quote leaves me guessing :) ). You seem to be saying exactly the same as me.

Kind Regards, John

Don't know where the quote wented ( :eek: ) but you can guess from the content wot I'm on about.

Why the massive difference in CSA between copper and aluminium

16 to 1 in sheathed cable but only 1.6 to 1 in bare cables.

I assume it is to do with the sheathing providing thermal insulation and aluminium's higher resistance creating more heating than copper would for the same current density. ( amps per mm ² )

Why the massive difference in CSA between copper and aluminium. 16 to 1 in sheathed cable but only 1.6 to 1 in bare cables. ... I assume it is to do with the sheathing providing thermal insulation and aluminium's higher resistance creating more heating than copper would for the same current density. ( amps per mm ² )
I've often wondered that. I am inclined to suspect that, rather than having a 'reasoned' basis such as you suggest, it may well just be that the different ratios arise from the fact that, for whatever reason, they have decided that the minimum permitted CSA of aluminium conductors in any situation is 16mm². Having said that, to be talking about circuits with bare live conductors of any size, these Tables must have at least partially in mind installations very different from standard domestic or commercial ones - so I'm probably out of my depth!

Kind Regards, John

You didn't trust what I told you yesterday? - at least you presumably now believe me! :)
No, I just wanted to see it in black and white, and thought others might too ;)
Fair enough - as you say, others might be interested. As for myself, I obviously did see it (both versions) 'in black and white' yesterday, since I was quoting from them for you!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: format corrected

the heating switches off after about 15 minutes (at which point the room has not actually warmed up at all).
Oh well - at least that will have given you a head start on getting used to the fact that it will never do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back