1mm in mcb (how many)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to run some lighting cables and it would be helpful to run to the switch first then on to the light fitting (breaking the live at the switch)
That way no joint boxes and only one cable at the fitting.
My question is I would end up with around 6 1mm T&E at the CU would it be ok to connect 2 sets of 3 to two MCB’s or run them all into a joint box 1st.
(Is there a maximum amount of cables that should terminate in a MCB.)?

Sponsored Links
You could still install your looped supply and drops in place, just dont connect the next loop terminate it and leave safe.

Sponsored Links
If it really is not practical then mount an accessible junction box adjacent to the consumer unit and terminate the circuits there.

That will be miles better than 6 conductors in one CB. How would anybody be able to fault find on that?

Strictly speaking it should be one circuit to each breaker.

As hinted at above, leave long continous loops under the floor in a convenient place that you can get to later.

If you must do it the way you propose, perhaps you could fit more MCBs, so you only have two or three wires in each MCB.

It could also be a problem getting six 1.0 mm wires to stay in an MCB, some may not get stay in the terminal.
You would have to consider using connector blocks, doubling the ends over, or, the ulitimate horror, twisting the wires together.

Or fitting junction boxes.

There WILL be a better way to do this.

Plan a route so you can leave loops of cable somewhere.

I prefere the traditional methods of the feed to the circuit in the breaker and looping on from switches / roses. The OP should really think about the sheer quantities of cable that are going to need terminating into his CU, sometimes they can get a bit awkward when they are close to full with a standard arrangment, trying to get 6 times the amount of cable in could well cause some greif. Saying that, if you arn't hindered by the amount of cables in the board it could make isolating a fault a bit simpler.

As well as all those lives, you'll have to find space for 6 neutrals and 6 cpcs.

1008phr_02_o+american_autowires_classic_update_kit+rat_nest.jpg

Are you in England or Wales?

I was talking about splitting the six ends over two breakers so only 3 ends in each I have always had plenty of room for earths and neutrals.
Just trying to simplify the job as it can’t be done all at once as for testing/ faultfinding etc how hard is it to remove the ends from the breakers.?
Thanks everyone for your advice I will give it some more thought

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P?

Surprise surprise part p again ?
I haven’t even began to think about starting this job yet I did intend to run the cables myself and get a sparks (who has done work for me in the past) to install a new CU.
And do all the testing etc.
And as this work will be done over some time I was looking for the easy option.
Don’t get me wrong I do understand about part p and your reason for pointing it out but looking at this forum there are many people out there who intend to do electrical work themselves and some with almost no knowledge of what they are doing but some of us are just looking for some advice on how to do the job safely.
There are some who have always done there own electrical work before (part p) and im sure many will continue to do so (yes I know its not right) but lets help them to do it safely.???

There are some who have always done there own electrical work before (part p) and im sure many will continue to do so (yes I know its not right) but lets help them to do it safely.???
The vast majority of the population - some electricians included - do not know enough to carry out electrical work to the requirements of BS 7671.

I'm not saying you're one of them, but the odds are very much stacked in that direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back