2 way lighting circuit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to understand the wiring in my girlfriends house. I was going to replace the switches for a better version.
Her two way lighting does not work properly. The only way she can turn landing light on and on off from hall is if switch on landing is switched on.
Hopefully i have attached a wiring diagram although as i dont have my meter her I cannot say which is live and which is neutral.
Any help appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 2018-09-14 11.25.32.jpg
    2018-09-14 11.25.32.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Any help appreciated. Thanks
You need to learn how it works, so that you can connect things up properly.

Fiddling with your own electrics on the basis of guesswork, or by following instructions to "put-this-wire-in-that-terminal" without actually understanding what you're doing is bad enough, but to do that sort of thing in someone else's house is inexcusable.

You basically have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Neither, they are all live.
I'm not knocking you, since you are far from alone, but I often wonder what, other than potential total confusion, is gained by 'educating' a DIYer (who almost always will call the line conductor 'live') about the fact that "neutral is a live conductor".

Kind Regards, John

Live as in there are no neutrals at the light switches in the diagram.

Not the line/live semantics which are of little relevance.

Live as in there are no neutrals at the light switches in the diagram.
Ah, right. My apologies - I should have realised what you meant, but I'm so used to seeing ...
Not the line/live semantics which are of little relevance.
As I said, I personally thing worse than "of little relevance", since that issue is not only of no relevance to a DIYer, but is very likely to merely cause confusion.

Kind Regards, John

Apologies for typing "Live" . I am actually more used to using positive and negative as I build electronic circuits.
I hadnt got my tester with me yesterday. I need to check the cable from the landing light is the "Line"
I also want to check the continuity of the disconnected red. Logic says it is from the upstairs switch, however?
All lighting in the house runs from a single breaker.
Thanks for your help and advice to enable me to fit a new switch.

ALL the wires in your diagram will be live at one time or another.
None of them is ever Neutral.

The supply LINE is the !ink between the two downstairs switches and the conductor to which it is connected by the COM terminal.

I'm not knocking you, since you are far from alone, but I often wonder what, other than potential total confusion, is gained by 'educating' a DIYer (who almost always will call the line conductor 'live') about the fact that "neutral is a live conductor".

Kind Regards, John
If everybody is wrong to call them live and neutral, we need to inform the manufactures they need to change the way they mark their products as everything is marked L, N & E.

:?: L for Line. :)
That's funny it doesn't seem 5 minutes since they were trying to get us to use 'phase'.
And N = North?
I obtained this word by closing my eyes, opening a book and reading the first word on the page starting with N.
Sadly live and neutral will always be used until such markings have disappeared from every device. At least they are no longer labelled with+&- and the terms have nearly dropped out of use for ac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back