20mm Plastic Trunking

Sponsored Links
Why do you think they manufacture expansion couplers?

Are they for people who are planning on trying to 'get away' with doing a 12m continuous run with no terminal boxes? :eek::p

They have their place, I'll grant you, but a normal coupler will suffice in 99% of applications, as long as some thought is put into it, as my maths proves.

And why do you think IET/IEE Guidance Note 3 makes reference to their use?

I can only see a single reference to "Provision for expansion and contraction" relating to non-metallic rigid conduit, not specific products or types.

Sponsored Links
I have a dreadful confession to make. I first lifted a tool to do electrical work for profit in 1983.

I have fitted hundreds of metres of all kinds of round conduits, including PVC, both inside and out.

I have never used expansion couplings. I have never seen any deterioration in the conduit work, including some that I installed outside at my current residence nearly 20 years ago.

With some assistance from Risteard we'll find out what GN3 says about their use.

522.1.1 (green book) is a general reference that wiring systems must be suitable for lowest and highest ambient temperatures.

522.1.1 (green book) is a general reference that wiring systems must be suitable for lowest and highest ambient temperatures.
Indeed - and your experiences seem to indicate that that can be achieved without the use of expansion couplings.

Kind Regards, John

Would hituf (hi-tuff) cable be suitable for clipping to a wall externally instead of conduit......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back