21st century science v Medieval

Sponsored Links
I enjoyed that. Fewer of the ba$tards to set up roadside bombs.

Anyway, don't they go to heaven and get dozens of virgins? The Yanks did them a favour, then.

JBR";p="2720532 said:
I enjoyed that.

Why? They would just claim to be freedom fighters ridding their country of foreigners, as they did with the Russians and will with the Yanks and us

Sponsored Links
I still don't know why we are there. Nobody knows why we are there. We've given up in defeat and are coming home anyway - so what was it all about? Fooked if I know.

snugib";p="2720611 said:
I enjoyed that.

Why? They would just claim to be freedom fighters ridding their country of foreigners, as they did with the Russians and will with the Yanks and us

But they've no right to! Our servicemen are there because our politicians say they ought to be and, as we all know, our politicians are very clever people and are never wrong.

The squaddies are out there putting their lives on the line, for what?

Why don't they go undercover here in the UK? All they have to do is go into a town, find a local pusher, torture him to discover who his suppliers are, then shoot him, pay his suppliers a visit, take their cash, torture them to see who their suppliers are, shoot them and continue doing this all the way to the top.. simples. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's not a drug war. It's a war without any reason whatsoever. Why are we there? No-one knows.

We joined sheriff Bush junior's posse to round up Osama Bin Laden (Al Qaeda) in the Tora Bora mountains 10 years ago, post 9/11. Eventually they did lynch him and administered swift dubious justice in Pakistan. The Taliban are not Al Qaeda. They have not so much as thrown a stone in Europe or the US, They are if you wish, primitive freedom fighters trying to rid their country of foreign invaders.

It could be argued that we are trying to implement regime change from a system of tribal warlords who met annually at the Durbar to decide policy, to a system of Western style central government headed by Mohamed Karzai, one of the most corrupt regimes on the planet. The Taliban will say " what right have we to interfere " ?

What we are trying to do is change a culture grounded in fundamental Islam. It is an impossible task, we should realise this and get out now. Have no doubt, when we do leave in 2015 the Karzai regime will collapse and things will go back to status quo.

Too many western military, and Afghan civilian lives have been lost, and too much money wasted in a hopeless attempt to change a national culture.

"why are we there"?

Are you people stupid and ignorant, it's well known why we are there and their are clear goals.

We toppled the Taliban government (which we should have), now we are staying to help the new government become established and to prevent the Taliban from regaining control.

A clearly defined goal.

People think we can't do that and are just wasting our time, those people are wrong, we can do it, except we are not willing to put the effort in (it could take 50 years).

I'll take the snugib explanation thanx all the same Aron. You aren't making any sense in my head.

I'll take the snugib explanation thanx all the same Aron. You aren't making any sense in my head.

Lets face facts, I think most people on this forum will agree with me on this when I say, there is nothing in your head that makes any sense.

:LOL: :LOL:

We've been fighting there on and off since Victorian times. Various nations have "had a go" there all with little success.
Many years ago I asked my dad about the lines in the Kipling poem:

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier."

He had been out on patrol on foot on the "North West Frontier" of India at the end of WWII, before partition. Similar terrain and people I believe. They were being shot at from neighbouring hills, and had to put people out in front to clear the hills and cover them. If they tried to engage the shooters they just melted away into the terrain.
He said he reckoned you could never win any sort of war there, and you wouldn't want to get caught on your own, as per the poem.

The New Year finds the situation in southern Afghanistan fundamentally different from what it was at the start of 2010.

The Taliban has lost almost all of its principal safe havens in this area.

Its ability to acquire, transport, and use IED materials and other weapons and equipment has been disrupted.

Local populations have stepped forward to fight the Taliban with ISAF support for the first time in some important areas.

The momentum of the insurgency in the south has unquestionably been arrested and probably reversed.

http://www.understandingwar.org/report/report-defining-success-afghanistan

Patey says: "If we don't continue to provide support for training and the funding of the Afghan security forces for a number of years beyond 2014 then we are asking for failure.... The Taliban used to gain support because there was no government...the Taliban were the only alternative if people wanted justice. Over the last ten years that has changed.... Taliban are finding it very difficult to operate in parts of Afghanistan. They don't have the safe havens they used to have, they've just announced a new spring offensive, this follows on from the last summer offensive which was a failure. The Taliban are unable to taking hold ground. Once the international troops come out, will they be able to overcome the Afghan natinal security forces? I think they are delusional if they think they can wait us out and then overthrow the Afghan army. The Afghan state that they will face in 2015 is a very different one from the one they faced in 1996/1997 when they took power. The institutions are stronger, the army is stronger, is better trained, has international support, and provided we fund it, they will confront a very different situation."

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/frostovertheworld/2012/05/2012511164836933857.html

So we have a goal, and we are achieving that goal currently.

What, because it might take another 10-20 years before we know it's fully successful we start calling it a failure.

What, because Afghan hasn't turned into a shining beacon of democracy we also call it a failure.

So our troops are getting killed? In a warzone? Oh my!

No you can turn around and argue "Well I don't give a **** about afghan, and I don't want our troops shot there", fine, argue that, but don't be such an ignoramus as to argue "no one knows why we are there or what we are trying to achieve".

Sponsored Links
Back