240v supply into metal storage container

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today we ran a SWA cable into a small consumer unitin a metal storage container on site.

Tomorrow we will be adding two flourescent lights and four or six twin sockets for charging batteries. My tradesman told me to have a think tonight about how we should go about this. Hopefully I can run my ideas past you guys first so I don't look like a total t1t in the morning :cool:

The joiners put in timber framework today to fix the lights to and a wooden shelf and backboard to place chargers on.

Firstly, am I right in thinking the cables will have to be enclosed in conduit or trunking at least up to ceiling height where they are not accessable? is it ok to clip direct to the timber after this?

I think a radial would be suitable for the socket circuit, and when i get the cable to the shelf, is it ok to have the cable clipped to the backboard when it comes out and then into side by side plastic pattress boxes?

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Clue as to what your boss is probably getting at: Think about the green/yellow conductors....

Thanks, I know what your saying but we discussed that today when we terminated the SWA, I thin hes actually talking about installing according to the regulations as he mentioned taking into account mechanical protection while also making sure you don't do un-necessary work and use un-necessary material ie conduit, thats why i asked do the cables only need to be enclosed up to a height where they aren't accessible?

Also think about what the metal container is made of, and what it is stood on, and the type of earthing system present on the SWA.

Sponsored Links
personally i think you should at least read the caravan regs, some of them like using flexible cables to prevent motion damage and using DP breakers to protect against dodgy site supplies are irrelevent but others such as the warning not to use PME earthing are equally valid here.

as for conduit/trunking it depends very much on what the container will be used for, if anything that will be done in there will pose a risk of cable damage then appropriate protection should be provided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back