28 sec kerosene and sulphur deposits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been cleaning out and servicing an oil fired Rayburn today (Ghastly thing :eek: ) - 12 months since it was last done. Its a NuWay double burner, pressure jet.
Not particularly sooty inside, but large sulphur deposits where the baffles go - which helpfully glued them in place when the sulphur vitrefied.
Any particular reason for this? Its in a rental property so I've no idea which fuels have been used.
I've never come across this to such an extent before, and would welcome any comments.
Thanks for reading, and good evening
John :)

Sponsored Links
No idea. But these designers need sha%%ing. I refer specifically to Esse range with 2x minor 1 burners.

Ha!

Hi Burnerman!!
You are right the Rayburn with the twin Nu-way hybrid burner is truly cringeworthy!! I prefer the Ecoflam version - however back to topic!

Check the burner is set for the correct heat input and has not been de-rated, which could cause excess condensate and sulphur deposits
however in some areas of the country the Kero contains quite a high amount of sulphur ;)

Haha bang on mate....this one is a MX499 with the soft start burner.
An absolute pile.....Been in the shower for nearly an hour and I'm still black.
Even the NuWay guys fall silent when you ring them.... :p
John :D

Sponsored Links
Maybe the cheeky monkeys used agricultural diesel (35sec) , only 65 pence a litre if buying it straight , possibly the reason for the sulpher deposits?

Hi Burnerman!!
You are right the Rayburn with the twin Nu-way hybrid burner is truly cringeworthy!! I prefer the Ecoflam version - however back to topic!

Check the burner is set for the correct heat input and has not been de-rated, which could cause excess condensate and sulphur deposits
however in some areas of the country the Kero contains quite a high amount of sulphur ;)

Hello BM2 and cheers for your input :cool:
I've set the soft start at 100 psi. It runs for 25 sec like this, then switches on to full pressure at 145 psi (Bench testing here).
The nozzle is the recommended one, and I'll do a full FGA on Monday.
There wasn't too much condensate at all - just loads of sulphur. In fact it was an angle grinder job to clean the baffles up (5 each side of the heat exchanger and an abolute swine to get at).
Be lucky!

Maybe the cheeky monkeys used agricultural diesel (35sec) , only 65 pence a litre if buying it straight , possibly the reason for the sulpher deposits?

Now that thought had crossed my mind :confused: however I've no idea if heavy gas oil has more sulphur than regular kero.
The tenant has a reputation for being a bit of a spiv though!

From what i can remember kerosene falls into grade 'C' while gas oil falls into grade 'D' , bearing in mind the sulphur content increases from grades 'C' to 'H' then maybe the burner was run on red. :confused: .............******.......... :mrgreen:

got to admit round these ways finding this more of a common issue. some guys i know have had fuel related probs from the same company. seems oil breakdowns due to fuel related probs are getting to be a very common thing these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back