2nd 100v Amp blown :( Help needed to troubleshoot.

It is difficult to damage 100v line speakers. You need to check the cables from amp to kitchen controller, make sure there's continuity (or check for volts when system is running) We already know there's a circuit from controller to speakers (low impedance certainly but it is there).

Sponsored Links
Ah thats good to hear, I feared that I'd be replacing the 3 speakers and vol control.

The kitchen controller is currently out of the equation with brown and blues connected.

How do I check the continuity? I tried a reading via the connected switch wires. With the following settings but no reading? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
IMG_4064.JPG

You're still on 10A and the RED probe is in the 10A hole. Put the RED probe in the VΩmA hole, select 200Ω with the rotary selector and try again (that is if you have disconnected the amp and are metering the cable that goes to the kitchen and only to the kitchen).
If you're checking for volts at the kitchen then put the RED probe in the VΩmA hole, select V ac(can't find squiggle on here) 200 with the rotary selector, stick some noise through and see if you get some numbers. If none on AC, try DC

School boy error, apologies. As you can probably tell this isn’t a strong point of mine :)

You're still on 10A and the RED probe is in the 10A hole. Put the RED probe in the VΩmA hole, select 200Ω with the rotary selector and try again (that is if you have disconnected the amp and are metering the cable that goes to the kitchen and only to the kitchen). On this test I was getting a reading of 121.

If you're checking for volts at the kitchen then put the RED probe in the VΩmA hole, select V ac(can't find squiggle on here) 200 with the rotary selector, stick some noise through and see if you get some numbers. If none on AC, try DC I’ve just tried this test and whilst metering the joined cabled from where the volume control is sited in the kitchen. The only setting that I’m getting a reading on the meter is:
IMG_4078.JPG

The reading that I got was also 121 (whilst playing music).

I’ve also swapped the ‘odd ball’ control in the kitchen back to one the of standard controls but still nothing.

On a side note I've just purchased an outside speaker that I'm going to hook up. The switch on the back of the speaker I trust should be set to 40w? I'm I also right in thinking that there needs to be a new volume control fitted for this speaker?

adastra-bp6v-b-40w-100v-6-5-weatherproof-wall-speaker-black-p5911-16887_zoom (1).jpg

Many thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
Some further tests / observations that may help troubleshoot why the kitchen speakers are not sounding..

Going into the back of the amp are 4 cables.

1 - for downstairs hall.

2 - for upstairs hall and master bedroom

3 unsure can only assume kitchen as no sound when connected.

4 for outside speaker (currently unconnected)

The front living room speaker only sounds when both cables 1 & 2 are connected

Any thoughts guys? Keen to get these speakers working again. Any other tests that I should be doing? Thanks, Devs

Quickies. That outside speaker- it'll be easier to control it with another controller like the ones you've got. The switch on the back of it- 40w might be a bit loud, any setting except OFF and 8Ω will work.

Your wiring- unwise to assume anything,can come back and bite you. Presumably you mean there are 4 pairs coming to the amp (ie 4 x 2 core cables). Rather odd that one speaker only works when 2 of the 2 core cables are connected- that is worthy of investigation, it may be a harmless miswire or it may not be (it is very easy on large jobs to lose track of what goes where and why). Only solution is to disconnect everything you can get to and prove which wire goes where

Okay thanks for the info on the outdoor speaker, greatly appreciated and I will see where an additional control can be fitted.

Thats correct there are 4 pairs coming to the amp (ie 4 x 2 core cables). With regards to only one of the speakers working when the other is connected, would this not indicate that the other completes it circuit is this not a common way to wire this type of setup? If not should I be questioning this?

The solution: "to disconnect everything you can get to and prove which wire goes where" trust I go round and disconnect the volume controls again, then what test should I do?

Many thanks,

Devs.

Each pair (brown/blue) will, when connected to 1 or more speakers in parallel, form a circuit. The most likely scenario is that your downstairs speaker is wired on a brown from pair 1 and blue from pair 2 (or the other way round)- not a problem in your setup, just a nuisance for faultfinding). It is possible that it is wired in some bizarre series configuration.....

What you'd be doing is (as you said) disconnecting the volume controls and amplifier again then pair by pair (at the amplifier) connect one pair together (the brown and blue into a bit of chock block) then (using your meter on resistance) check pairs at volume controls til you find one showing zero or almost zero resistance. Confirm by removing the chockblock and remeasuring. Then mark the cable at the amp end and the control end (numbers, letters, words- whatever). Repeat for the other 3 cables.

Right this is all bending my head now.. I've just received the outside speaker much louder than expected but all good.

So I connected up the cable marked 'Patio' to the amp and the 3 speakers in the 'kitchen' became live and worked. I added the other unmarked cable that I assumed was for the kitchen and everything is now working as it should.

I don't really understand this to be honest as I'm 99% sure that the cable marked 'Patio' was never connected to any of the previous amps as the outside cable was left unterminated.

Anyhow on the upside everything is now working well and as it should. :) :) very happy man!

The only thing that remains to be done is to connect a volume control where the amp is sited for the outside speaker.

This is the speaker that I purchased: http://www.inta-audio.com/pa-live-s...00v-6-5-weatherproof-wall-speaker-black-p5911

And I wondered if either of these would suffice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adastra-10...kmr2&keywords=speaker+volume+control+100v+60w or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adastra-10...kmr2&keywords=speaker+volume+control+100v+60w

If the speaker was set to its no.4 position of 40w? I'm getting thrown by the output speaker spec of Power max. : 8 Ohms: 120W Power rms : 8 Ohms: 60W

Many thanks,

Devs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back