3 phase oven swith???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys....my friend has a shop with a 3 phase suppy.....he wants to know if it is possible to put a timer/switch on a pizza oven (which is 3 phase)..to save him going in 2 hours early to turn on ovens ......if so is it possible to get a timer/switch.....have looked on screwfix and others but cant seem to find any....thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You would need to use a time switch which will control an appropriately rated contactor, but as this is a 3 phase supply in a commercial environment it is not really within the scope of a DIYer

You need to use a contactor. you wire the oven through the contactor then use a normal time clock to control the contactor

It would be better for you to get an electrician in to carry out the work because its quite complicated and out of the remits of a diyer

Not wishing to be patronising but judging by your apparent lack of knowledge I would not attempt to do this job especially as it involves 3 phase voltage

Sponsored Links
As the guys have already said this is beyond the scope of the average DIYer.
IMHO Instead of trying to retro fit just a contactor and time switch I'd recommend you go to a panel building company who would be able to supply a custom built control panel c/w:

Main Isolator (Lockable in the OFF position)
Correctly rated fuses or CB
AC3 contactor sized to the rating of the oven
Controls to include
Hand/Off/Auto switch (easier than overriding time switch)
Timer for auto control
Over temerature cutout (essential if there will be nobody on the premises and the oven thermostat fails)

So for the cost of design, build & commissioning is it worth it for a couple of hours extra in bed?

Paper Spark said:
As the guys have already said this is beyond the scope of the average DIYer.
IMHO Instead of trying to retro fit just a contactor and time switch I'd recommend you go to a panel building company who would be able to supply a custom built control panel c/w:

Main Isolator (Lockable in the OFF position)
Correctly rated fuses or CB
AC3 contactor sized to the rating of the oven
Controls to include
Hand/Off/Auto switch (easier than overriding time switch)
Timer for auto control
Over temerature cutout (essential if there will be nobody on the premises and the oven thermostat fails)

So for the cost of design, build & commissioning is it worth it for a couple of hours extra in bed?

We have a panel at work that fits this description EXACTLY, controling lights, heating, water heaters, fans. IMO, its overkill for a simple oven. A sangamo timer has an override button, and with a contactor and enclosure, you're probably looking at £150 parts, maybe a day's labour. The sort of panel you're talking about would cost thousands. However, I wonder, do you know much about these panels? Specifically, the timer/controller and how to set it? I understand these devices are uniquely programmed, but surely there's a standard with these. I know about 10 of our stores have these boxes, all identical.

Beautifully wired though!!! I cant help thinking a few contactors and 13A timeswitches would have been a cheaper and better solution.

Crafty wrote:

However, I wonder, do you know much about these panels?

I've been designing, building & commissioning panels for the last 10 years whilst part of the maintenance team at a paper mill. Employed at the mill for 25 years. (maintenance/installation). Mill now shut due to rising fuel costs, so I am now out of a job. Stumbled on to this forum and found it ideal to while away the hours while recovering from a total hip replacement op. (Just waiting for the new knee now) :rolleyes:

Crafty, I've got your email and I'll reply asap.

2 for me please if anyone puts an order in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back