I must be a fekkin eejit. I start work at 6, get there at 10 to n start. 12 hours later I clock out most days without taking my 45 min break. I'm obviously letting the English side down here (apart from kicking any foreigners who are asleep when they're supposed to be working, but I can't say that can I ?)

Sponsored Links
I employ a Turkish lad, and although his English workmates are reasonably good workers, he is always the last to stop for breaks and the first back. Do you think I should sack the others and try to find some more Turks to employ? Neither do I.
I doubt you would have the same opinion if you employed solely Turks, you would have to have a seperate prayer room and tolerate endless stoppages if you did. I dont know what you do for a living but this causes endless problems on production lines.
So, apparently there are 300,00 people over here that should not be here. That is 300,00 people who are draining our resources and being a burden to the taxpayer.
No mention there if anybody legally entitled to be here is there, Jasy is clearly talking about the illegals or the asylum seekers who have been through any appeals procedures etc, and are still here. Such as the one in court this week for murdering a Policeman who was only doing his job.

I must of hit a nerve guys. I am noty a rascist. i believe in this country and if some cannot accept what is really going on then they are part of the problem :rolleyes:

david and julie said:
I doubt you would have the same opinion if you employed solely Turks, you would have to have a seperate prayer room and tolerate endless stoppages if you did. I dont know what you do for a living but this causes endless problems on production lines.

I'm not sure if this is true, the lad I mentioned earlier does not seem to be religious to that extent and has never mentioned any need for prayer breaks. I suppose that if you had a workforce that needed to do this, and the workforce was one you didn't want to lose, a good manager would work around this

Sponsored Links
One of the reasons they work for less is because they send the money home to a country where it goes further. I worked with a Ukrainian. He had been a secondary-school humanities teacher back in Ukraine, but he found out it was better worth his while to come to England and work as a labourer, live in a dive and send the money home to his wife and kids.

Highly admirable that he was working so far from home to support his family, but it still takes away one job from someone who needs to support their family here.

If only they could find a way to lower the cost of living, instead of everyone wanting to earn more to live our relatively affluent lifestyles.

petewood wrote,
I'm not sure if this is true, the lad I mentioned earlier does not seem to be religious to that extent and has never mentioned any need for prayer breaks. I suppose that if you had a workforce that needed to do this, and the workforce was one you didn't want to lose, a good manager would work around this
So your firm gets really busy and takes on another dozen turks, you don't mind this because you have one who is OK and not particularly religious. However, some of the new dozen are more that way inclined and insist on these prayer breaks and somewhere to do it. You now have a scenario where one section of your workforce is getting what is seen as a break whilst the rest are still working. They don't like this and ask for either more money for the extra time worked or an equivalent break. As a good manager what would you do to resolve this situation?

Incidently this problem is real and has happened countless times.

petewood said:
jasy said:
It was in the Sun on Thursday or Friday.

Ahh, it must be true then.

Obviously you don't believe the Sun, so what about pipme's link to the Times then, one of the worlds most respected newsapers, are they wrong too?

david and julie said:
you are calling the majority of your British work colleagues workshy, which is offensive in the extreme.
Truth often hurts!

dave and julie wrote
You now have a scenario where one section of your workforce is getting what is seen as a break whilst the rest are still working. They don't like this and ask for either more money for the extra time worked or an equivalent break. As a good manager what would you do to resolve this situation?

I'd like to hear people's suggestions: I worked in team of three people. The other two were heavy smokers and because of the no smoking policy, had to nip outside each time they wanted a fag. I reckon they spent between one and two hours a day out there, chatting and smoking.

Any chance I could keep nipping off for a knitting break? Magazine reading? Quick bunk up in the stationery cupboard?

Before the latest wave of EU enlargement I am quite sure there were half a million illegal immigrants here from those countries too. I have watched them going through customs. The system was frankly a joke with customs sending a few home each time who totally cocked up their stories.

The point is though that none of these people was coming here to stay and so were not really immigrants at all. They were all coming to work for a lot less than british workers would expect or could afford. Customs must have known exactly why they were coming and as a matter of policy letting them go about their business here because it was policy, and because it was in the interest of the country to get some cheap labour. And ultimately because like most illegal immigrants who are able to go home, they would go home sooner or later. No one likes to leave their own country.

Was chatting to a semi retired guy the other day. Had paid off his mortgage, got his finances sorted and was just working for his running expenses. Without having to pay a mortgage he could live on not very much at all. About 40. Best way to sort out the cost of living in this country is simply to build more houses and stop the price rocketing ever higher. Housing is absurdly expensive.

Damocles said:
Best way to sort out the cost of living in this country is simply to build more houses and stop the price rocketing ever higher. Housing is absurdly expensive.
I don't quite understand, are you saying building more houses will devalve my property?

kendor said:
david and julie said:
you are calling the majority of your British work colleagues workshy, which is offensive in the extreme.
Truth often hurts!
Not me though mate, self employed since the late 70's. No sick pay, no subsidised benefits or pensions, no lengthy holiday periods with pay, weekend working and late nights home being the norm.

No telly watching, licence paying people subsidising me. No work, no pay and that, that. Just like lots of the other people on this site. Its actually called the real world and is probably a million miles away from the BBC's version of work.

Sponsored Links
Back