david and julie said:
kendor said:
david and julie said:
you are calling the majority of your British work colleagues workshy, which is offensive in the extreme.
Truth often hurts!
Not me though mate, self employed since the late 70's. No sick pay, no subsidised benefits or pensions, no lengthy holiday periods with pay, weekend working and late nights home being the norm.

No telly watching, licence paying people subsidising me. No work, no pay and that, that. Just like lots of the other people on this site. Its actually called the real world and is probably a million miles away from the BBC's version of work.
btw I am not racist but every night after i finish work i go to asda's which is just across the road from me & the amount of ethnic people that clamber out of NEW fiat punto's etc and fill up their trolley's with cornflakes :eek: (don't ask,but 30 boxes is a bit excessive :confused: )they are all immacuatley dressed and seem to have money :confused: BUT MY POINT IS THEY OBVIOUSLEY DON'T WORK,BUT I HAVE TO COZ I PAY COUNCIL TAX/CAR TAX/T.V. LICENCE ETC........... :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
So your firm gets really busy and takes on another dozen turks, you don't mind this because you have one who is OK and not particularly religious.

I would not take on another dozen Turks on the basis of one good one, any more that I would take on another dozen of any other nationality including my own because of one good one. Read what I originally said after my earlier question to Jasy.

However, some of the new dozen are more that way inclined and insist on these prayer breaks and somewhere to do it. You now have a scenario where one section of your workforce is getting what is seen as a break whilst the rest are still working. They don't like this and ask for either more money for the extra time worked or an equivalent break.

Off the top of my head I would have thought you could incorporate this into the terms of employment from the outset. If people want to take extra breaks they can make up the time later or they don't get paid for these extra breaks.

As a good manager what would you do to resolve this situation?

I do not think I am a very good manager but I try to be fair to all.

Incidently this problem is real and has happened countless times

I'm sure you're right but to write off potential employees for this reason seems a bit short-sighted to me.

david and julie said:
petewood said:
jasy said:
It was in the Sun on Thursday or Friday.

Ahh, it must be true then.

Obviously you don't believe the Sun, so what about pipme's link to the Times then, one of the worlds most respected newsapers, are they wrong too?

I do not dispute the figures, but I do not believe (or disbelieve)anything I would read in the Sun.

jasy said:
Come on Petewood apologise. Think before you type ;)

I apologise. I did not intend any insult about your choice of newspaper. Live and let live. :)

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
Not me though mate, self employed since the late 70's. No sick pay, no subsidised benefits or pensions, no lengthy holiday periods with pay, weekend working and late nights home being the norm.

Did you live in a paper bag? Did you have to lick the road clean with your tongue?

(I hope to god someone knows what I am talking about here.)

petewood said:
david and julie said:

Did you live in a paper bag? Did you have to lick the road clean with your tongue?

MONTY P :LOL:

petewood, I presume you mean the comment which also contained this.
I have also worked with people who go on a definite go-slow when the boss is on holiday, and people who finished work on site well before 4pm when they were getting paid until 5pm. These people were all English. Jasy I would like to ask you if you would deport these people as they are a drain on our resources.

This is pure bad management regardless of the nationality of the people involved. As to deporting them I do not understand what you mean as we are talking about two totally different subjects. The above people may well be robbing their employer but they are having no effect public finances, unless the employer was the Gov, which is unlikely as they sub nearly everything out.

I am curious how you knew all the above were English. Did you speak to them and ask them all? do you mean you presume they were English because they were all white?

The original topic is referring to illegals who can't legitimately work here. If they are working it must be in the black economy, so they are not paying their proper dues. By including the Turk, who I presume is entitled to work here, you are confusing the issue.

petewood said:
david and julie said:

No I don't know what you mean, if you are going to lower the tone to insults can you be more specific please.

david and julie said:
petewood said:
david and julie said:

No I don't know what you mean, if you are going to lower the tone to insults can you be more specific please.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to insult you, but going back to your comments about what your working life was like in the late 1970's, if you try telling that to the youngsters of today, they won't believe you.

python1.jpg

david and julie said:
kendor said:
david and julie said:
you are calling the majority of your British work colleagues workshy, which is offensive in the extreme.
Truth often hurts!

No telly watching, licence paying people subsidising me. No work, no pay and that, that. Just like lots of the other people on this site. Its actually called the real world and is probably a million miles away from the BBC's version of work.
you keep ranting on about the BBC why? i can't work out what the BBC has got to do with what i was saying about the lazy workers?

You are out of touch with reality not me. There will be plenty of self employed people reading this who can relate to what I'm saying. If we want holidays we save because we don't get them paid by the boss. If we want a pension we pay for it, we don't get an employer contributing the lions share.If we are sick we don't get paid, unless we take out seperate and costly insurance. If we are behind with a job or its getting time for the taxman to rip us off, we work late or at weekends, we have to do this because nobody else will do it for us, we have to rely on ourselves, we are on our own in this respect, if we don't do our work we don't get paid. I don't care whether you or the young people of today believe this or not, I am only saying what it is like for most self employed tradesmen in this country today, not in the 70's, although it was the same then too. I forgot, if we have no work and get laid off, we don't get redundancy or the dole either.

Which part of this don't you understand?

david and julie said:
You are out of touch with reality not me. There will be plenty of self employed people reading this who can relate to what I'm saying. If we want holidays we save because we don't get them paid by the boss. If we want a pension we pay for it, we don't get an employer contributing the lions share.If we are sick we don't get paid, unless we take out seperate and costly insurance. If we are behind with a job or its getting time for the taxman to rip us off, we work late or at weekends, we have to do this because nobody else will do it for us, we have to rely on ourselves, we are on our own in this respect, if we don't do our work we don't get paid. I don't care whether you or the young people of today believe this or not, I am only saying what it is like for most self employed tradesmen in this country today, not in the 70's, although it was the same then too. I forgot, if we have no work and get laid off, we don't get redundancy or the dole either.

now you are rambling on! I do live in the real world and have worked in several places over the years but the attitude was the same.
funny about the self employed bit as we had a group of self employed sparks working in an area at work for the last few months and the other day i along with a manager found 3 of them asleep on the floor and one reading a paper when they should have been working! and no it wasn't a break. so much for your theory MATE.

david and julie said:

You are admirably concise and I understand all of it. Actually,as I have been self-employed and am now a company director I knew all of it already but I try not to let myself get bitter about it. Thank-you for letting me know I am out of touch with reality, it must be the tablets.

All I was saying was that if you try telling the young people of today what it was like, they won't believe you. I'm sure that other people will agree with this.

petewood said:
david and julie said:

Classic! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back