3000mm high stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning all, I hope you all had a good weekend.

I am looking to partition off a corner section of our bedroom to install an en suit. We have an old Victorian house that has high ceilings, just under 3000mm. I am looking to have a stud wall running from the main outside wall into the room 2800mm and then turn a 90 degree corner and run to the other outside wall which is around 1400mm away. Each wall will reach from floor to ceiling and be tied into the joists top and bottom. Due to the height of the wall, would I be able to get away with using standard stud wall from Wicks (38mm x 63mm) or would i be better off using 4" x 2"?

Also, what plasterboard would be best to use on the walls for the bathroom and bedroom sides?

Would you also be able to direct me to the best place for buying the door surrounds?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Use 4x2 cls, use a cement board/tile backer on the wet areas for the bathroom, use normal 12.5mm wall board on the bedroom walls and the non wet areas in the bathroom. Put some rockwool in between the studs to aid in sound proofing. Any builders merchant will have door linings, make sure you know what size door you're getting before putting up the wall.

Would you use a horizontal piece in the stud wall every meter?

You'd put noggins in at pb height so 2440mm centers and then 1220mm, tile backer is a funny size 800 wide by 1200 so you'd have to work that one out.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for 89mm x 38mm CLS, making sure that the top and sole plate are firmly fixed, fix the boards horizontally and bond them.

Standard 12.5mm board will be OK, and cement board only a consideration if the wall will be subject to direct moisture - ie a shower wall.

Minimum 50mm rockwool insulation

What do you mean by "door surrounds"? Architrave?

Also consider if you need to install noggins or a joist in the floor to take the additional load

I'd go for 89mm x 38mm CLS
Woody I am being to think you don't do much 'real' building, I would get funny looks if I went and asked for 89x38 or even 38x89(the correct measurement), it's all called 4x2 round 'ere.
Door surrounds means linings.
Don't use bond on a plaster board use multi or board finish, or tape and joint them. If you are tiling you don't really want to plaster the walls as you'll reduce the weight it can take and you'll save some money.

Why didn't they leave 4x2 as 100x50?

At my local place its 44x95 or something, but all the hangers they sell are 50mm. Means more driving, more receipts and a longer bank statement!!

it's all called 4x2 round 'ere.

Do you live in 1960ville?

From my very limited experience of real building, I found that if I wanted 4x2 in colour not B/W it was there on the racks as 100 x 50 rough sawn. If I felt exuberant, I could purchase more modern '4x2' regularised which is 94x47 mm. Or I could even select some CLS which comes in more slender sections.

Presumably, the section size whould make a different to the wall thickness and strength? And asking for 4x2 and getting something as bent as a weekend in Brighton, when I wanted nice straight 89x38 CLS might cause a few problems when fitting?

Do you also ask for four candles?

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. All very positive and exactly what i was looking for.

I am not looking to tile the shower area, instead I was going to us PVC wall sheets / panels. I've had a look online and there seems to be several systems around, is there anything you can recommended please? Shower resess will be 1220 x 800 ish.

The door sourround, I did meaning the casing. Having spent some more time looking into that I can see most places do them.

100 x 50 rough sawn
That'll be rough sawn not CLS the clue is in the name ;)
Regularised is normally tanalised or skant, which is rough sawn again.

And I did say 4x2 cls which is the same where ever you buy is from none of this 100x75mm /94x47 mm malarky.

Now don't get me started on those pit props.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back