30a connector block, how can I tell

Pictures can be stuck OR screwed to the wall.

People fit pictures over unused sockets or blank plates.

Just clutching at straws so the op can get on really.

Sponsored Links
Pictures can be stuck OR screwed to the wall.
They can, indeed, but in the case of this mirror we have been told ...
.... the mirror company will stick the mirror to the wall.
If that means what it says (I accept that it may not) then that is definitely what I would call 'very inaccessible' :) (and I would say the same if it were a picture being 'stuck to the wall')

Kind Regards, John

They can, indeed, but in the case of this mirror we have been told ...
If that means what it says (I accept that it may not) then that is definitely what I would call 'very inaccessible' :) (and I would say the same if it were a picture being 'stuck to the wall')

Kind Regards, John

What are we more concerned with?

Accessibility, or safe zones?

What are we more concerned with? ... Accessibility, or safe zones?
I can't speak for 'we' but, as I've said, I'm personally not at all concerned about 'safe zones' in this situation. My major (personal) concern would be about having any type of joint in cables (other, perhaps, than soldered) which is 'very inaccessible'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But wagos (ok in their special boxes) ARE designed for inaccessible situations.

Perhaps the op should use a wago box instead of the blanking plate method, or remove the skirting board and try and push the wago box into the floor.

Quite why Wago specify their boxes must be used for inaccessible situations is beyond me - could be something to do with cable clamps - but how far do we go making a meal out of this?

But wagos (ok in their special boxes) ARE designed for inaccessible situations.
I realise that, but it doesn't alter the fact that I wouldn't want them (or crimps, or screwed joints) in a 'very inaccessible' place. However, that's 'just me'.
Quite why Wago specify their boxes must be used for inaccessible situations is beyond me - could be something to do with cable clamps - but how far do we go making a meal out of this?
I don't think it's Wago (and, anyway, it's not Wago who make WagoBoxes) but, rather BS5733 which, as you say, includes requirements for such things as cable restraint for a JB to qualify as 'maintenance free' ... not that I would personally want even 'Wagos in a WagoBox' in a 'very inaccessible' place :) (but, again, that's 'just me'!)

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure if a soldered joint is a guaranteed foolproof can-never-go-wrong solution.

I'm not sure if a soldered joint is a guaranteed foolproof can-never-go-wrong solution.
I don't think that there can be such a thing as a "guaranteed foolproof can-never-go-wrong solution" (in this, or almost any other context!), but I am personally fairly confident that soldered (or, probably even better, brazed) joints are closer to that than are any of the alternatives. Don't forget that I have said that I would personally do all I could to avoid any joints in 'very inaccessible' situations, and that even includes soldered ones.

Having said that, I don't think that I have personally ever experienced failure of joints in any sort of JBs (the great majority of which have necessarily been 'screwed terminal' joints), even after many decades in-service. As for 'sprung' joints (Wagos, Hager/Ashley JBs etc.) I've yet to have long enough experience to know what their very-long-term reliability might be.

Kind Regards, John

Not an ideal situation, having to bury a join, but it happens all the time, sometimes you can over stress it.

Since you can make that hole as big as you need, I would of used one of these 32 A Ashley MF junction boxes.

Box secures to the wall and good clamps on cable. Used these under floors.

Safe zones is one thing. I would be more concerned about verifying the circuit is healthy to start off with.
That the conductors are continuous, that its not already a spur. Zs, R2 and RCD times are acceptable, before connecting the spur.
But you need a meter !
Then retesting the same at the new socket. Making sure polarity is right. and values were as before, so you know your join is acceptable.

Only then would I be happy to see it buried. Half hour job for an electrician. Save you the worry

View attachment 232414
I wouldn't bother burying the joint to make it totally vissible until the mirror will cover it.

I realise that, but it doesn't alter the fact that I wouldn't want them (or crimps, or screwed joints) in a 'very inaccessible' place. However, that's 'just me'.
I don't think it's Wago (and, anyway, it's not Wago who make WagoBoxes) but, rather BS5733 which, as you say, includes requirements for such things as cable restraint for a JB to qualify as 'maintenance free' ... not that I would personally want even 'Wagos in a WagoBox' in a 'very inaccessible' place :) (but, again, that's 'just me'!)

Kind Regards, John
I'm with John all the way.

Got the skirting board off and seems a enough room for the box to go behind it

Attachments

• 20210505_120409.jpg
    20210505_120409.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 64
Just before I do anything else.
Thought I'd ask to see if the drywall box is in its best place? The Skirting board will be removable now to access if any problems. Would a junction box be better behind the skirting to connect the wires up?

What would be the best plan of action to deal with the wires feeding the original socket, just push them back down into the space where the floor is? fold them over on them selves or cut them shorter.

Actually now its i have access would the wago connection box

https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-junction-box/p92231

and these wago connectors be fine for the job?

https://www.toolstation.com/wago-2273-3-way-compact-pushwire-connectors/p24872

Attachments

• 20210505_123101.jpg
    20210505_123101.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Note that you can buy Wago connectors in packs of 10 from TLC

Note that you can buy Wago connectors in packs of 10 from TLC

thanks I also had that webpage open and i ordered a few more bits for free delivery, sadly the wago box wouldnt fit in the space so i was hoping a conventional (circular) junction box would work

Having said that, I don't think that I have personally ever experienced failure of joints in any sort of JBs (the great majority of which have necessarily been 'screwed terminal' joints), even after many decades in-service.

Kind Regards, John
Oh how I wish I could make the same claim.
Noise of arcing in lighting JB's drove one family to distraction, they thought they had wasps in the loft but couldn't find them.
The worst that springs to my mind is a 45A on oven & hob, 3x 6mm² and 40A MCB, it was screwed to the wall behind kitchen units (inaccessible without cutting back of unit) and customer reckoned they'd smelt it from the moment the new kitchen was installed, fitters said it was the new oven and the smell would go away.

The damage to the neutral had affected the insulation to over a foot from the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back