32A socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a compressor in my garage and want to be able to plug it in to a socket. It's 2.2kW but because of starting current requires a 30A supply. I've found this Gewiss 32A socket on tlc site but never seen one before. It will be mounted on brick wall with cable surface mounted in conduit from CU where there is a spare way available. I can't see where cable entry is from the pic. If it's through rear of mounting flange it's not too convenient.
Is this the only one to use or are there any alternatives. I'd prefer one that was more of a box shape.
GW240SLASH32SLASH3S.jpg

Sponsored Links
most wall mounted are a similar shape and cable entry is thru the top. why wud this type be a problem?

Thanks for reply Andrew and top entry is ok as conduit would be surface mounted. The socket looks a bit industrial and I didn't know if it was usually mounted on some sort of partition wall with the cable coming in from the back of the flange, but in my case it's on a solid wall.
I asked the question to see if anyone knew an alternative as I've never used these before and only found this one.

as Andrew says I think this picture shows it at ninety degrees to its mounting position

Sponsored Links
no wrong way you know you can't fit one of those to the left :D :D :D

Thanks for orientation info, but I'm still not sure how the supply cable enters the socket. Is this unit normally fitted onto trunking where the supply cable goes through the mounting flange? My installation will be surface mounted socket and conduit.
Has anyone fitted one please?

1095441007_untitled.jpg

Use a male conduit adaptor between conduit and socket.

Are you sure you need a 32 amp one?? Starting current cant be too bad for too long??

Thanks for drawing lectrician, that confirms what Andrew thought. I'm sure you're right that starting curent is not on for long but installation manual states 30A fuse rating. If I fit a 32A socket I can plug my welder into it as well.
I must confess to being a bit naughty :oops: and have been running it with a piece of 30A fuse wire in a 13A plug. I never leave it plugged in once the receiver is charged and can't feel any heat in the plug. It's wrong though and I'm very ashamed. :oops:

Newey & Eyres own brand have a largish box shaped base with 3 separate entrys,not bad quality either,fitted 2 last week in a chinese takeaway for 2 6kw fryers,thats some chips! :LOL:

Thanks for cooking tip Leeds spark but I've just looked at N&E website and there is no on-line ordering. I once went into a N&E branch and the guy wouldn't serve me because I wasn't 'trade'. I had real money in my hand but he didn't want it. Amazing.

ban-all-sheds said:
Write to the Chief Executive and complain.

why? trade places are for trade not joe public, doesn't bother me, but it does them, that would be the reply

It's a bit late now 'cos it was about 20 years ago. I wanted something that the usual retail outlets didn't stock but went round the corner to another electrical trade outlet and they were happy to take my money. There wasn't the 'net then, to buy on-line.
Why should it bother them breezer, surely more money coming in means more profit so does it matter who is buying? I wasn't asking for any trade discount, I just needed a certain item.
I've just bought the IEE On-Site guide from the IEE site and inside it says 'This guide is for electricians (skilled person)' They didn't ask me who I was and presumably were just happy to have another sale.
Can you explain why you say it bothers the trade outlets to sell to joe public?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back