380V on/off switch for powertools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just building a router table for my 1/4" hand router and will be installing a separate on/off switch or NVR switch.

In searching for switches its seems a lot more common to find 380v than 220/240v switches.

Will one of these 380v switches be ok to use?

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-1-9_10-18-58.png

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

Sponsored Links
You mean they don't adhere to british standards????:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Point taken...I will leave them alone.
Although that Toolstation switch does seem excessive for what I need, I mean it is nearly as large as the router itself

It's the best price you'll find one for. I looked a while back for a motor starter for a home made trommel and that was all I could come up with - you could look on CPC or RS components, but I bet they'll be more. The housing is big enough for a motor over-load protection relay - but it also has knock-out holes in which you screw glands which are great for ensuring your cables are secure and dust wont get in.

Nozzle

Much depends on where and who will use it. If the motor is 370W and not supplied as an all integral unit to EU or British standards then the control gear has to conform with set standards to comply with HSE regulations, this includes not auto restating and having overloads. However this does not really apply to domestic, only where some one is at work. So a simple drill for home use can have a button to lock it on, but not for industrial use, a grinding wheel for home use simple on/off switch, at work needs something so after a power failure it will not auto restart, I often used an active RCD to do this.

So if you want to take the unit into some one else's house to fit their work top it needs to comply with HSE requirements, if not you do your own risk assessment. So the contactor and overload will comply, but question is does it need to comply, as said there are other ways to have a no volt release including using an active RCD.

This is for me, in my garage solely for minimal personal use (in fact to do one job). The router is 240v plug in tool that I am building to be detachable so the plug will remain.
Basically what I want to create is something like this, however for this one job I really cant justify spending £50 on a switch.
https://www.toughleads.co.uk/produc...tch-with-start-stop-and-emergency-stop-button

I could just manually reach under the table and turn it on each time as it has a flick switch but I thought by at least adding a start/stop switch to a 1m extension it would be safer than keep bending down and reaching under the table while the router is running

just checking your router has a lock on switch rather than a spring loaded hold to operate switch

just checking your router has a lock on switch rather than a spring loaded hold to operate switch
Definitely a lock on switch. My 1/2" router has spring loaded switch which is why I chose to use the 1/4" one for this job instead. Didn't fancy zip tying the trigger down on the other one (joking before someone gets upset)

some years ago i made a router table to go in the jaws off a workmate
it was to operate a spring loaded on button i fashioned a knee push lever from wood that by design gravity separated the the router from the lever gteeing it stopped working with no push

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back