4 position single light switch (Not mult- way switching!!).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably doesn't exist, as no one I have spoken to knows of anything like it, but anyone here ever come across a muli-position switch for lighting circuits?

Context is domestic switching of multiple lighting circuits in a bedroom where the alternative would be at least 5 individual switches to allow switching of 2 groups of 3 GU10 CFs and 3 individual HID (Britespot Metal Halide).

3 way (OFF > +Group 1 > +Group2) would be OK, but 4 way to allow switching of individual groups would be better.

Thoughts/ advice welcome. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Go to Google and type in Intelligent Lighting

There are a number of companies who do systems that allow you to change lighting effects to do almost anything..

No it wasn't for automation, just manual switching of the lighting groups.

...Although the idea of using a custom built circuit to control auto-dimming of conventional GU10s has been discussed (the idea was that this would deal with need for 'instant' light when HIDs were warming up and when unable to re-strike if switched off/ on again).

Sponsored Links
if you don't want some sort of automation controller, then the only option I can think of is a multi gang switch.

No reason why you couldn't install a 6 gang switch for example.

Yeah that was my conclusion also I think.. a 6 way is going to just look a little industrial unfortunately.

You can use an MK 3-pos switch OFF-ON-ON to achieve what you describe. ie OFF, Gp1 & Gp2, but doing it this way means you cannot have Gp1 & Gp2 on together, unless you insert another switch which effectively joins the switchwires for Gp1 & Gp2 together when the switch is closed and disconnects them when open.

The click range by Scolmore has a 6 gang switch on a 2 gang plate. These look alot less industrial than your standard 6 gang plate

..which is back to 5 switches.. never an easy solution is there LOL :D

although it is interesting that MK do a 3 way, I missed that when I went through their catalog.. perhaps someone does do a 4 way then..

How about something like a christmas tree light controller - each push on the button gives you the next setting.

Don't know where you would get one though.

3 way (OFF > +Group 1 > +Group2) would be OK, but 4 way to allow switching of individual groups would be better.
If rotary is OK, I'm sure you'll find something suitable from RS/Farnell.

Get a single-gang dimmer, remove the works, replace with the switch, put the knob from the dimmer on it and there ya go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back