Switching out 4 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just picked up a Lightwave smart switch (3 way), I’m trying to replace an existing 4 way switch with a 3 way smart switch with dimming. I plan to have one of the switches control 2 sets of existing lights hence 3.

I have attached a few pictures to explain below.

The smart switch has a single entry point for live rather than having to use a common and linking wires. If my understanding is correct, I would need to put all brown live wires together and put them in the new live slot? I doubt it would fit. Then, I would need to work out which blue switched live is which light as you can see in the picture these are grouped. Am I going about this right?

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Attachments

• F06D5A26-AD3D-48BE-8F99-5349AF3498B2.jpeg
    F06D5A26-AD3D-48BE-8F99-5349AF3498B2.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 2501412F-6CCC-43E2-86E5-F2EEFED3E04B.jpeg
    2501412F-6CCC-43E2-86E5-F2EEFED3E04B.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
You lucky man.
You have neutrals in your box...

1. The blues in your box are the neutrals, not switched lives. Leave them in the terminal block and run a new bit of blue wire from the terminal block to the N terminal.
2. On your existing switch you have 4 (probably) brown wires that go to L1 terminals on the switch (cant see from the pic). These are the switched lives. These will go to the outputs on the lightwave switch. I see you'll be grouping two together??, the old switch is 4-gang, the new one is only 3.
3. You will then be left with a couple of lives that will be on the switch COM terminals, with loops. Just put the ones that come from the cables in to the L terminal on the new switch.

That's it.

PS. If the new switch has an earth terminal, you'll need a of earth wire from the back box to the switch plate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back