40kw CONVENTIONAL Boiler flue and pipe size question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario.

6 Bedroom house
27 Rads
Currently have a Floor Mounted Boiler with Flue running up a chimmney on the side of the house.
Behind the boiler is an outside wall with no windows or boundaries near it.

Question 1.

I'm having a Boiler installed (40kw) Worcester Bosch the the guy who quoted me said it was not possible to flue through a chimmney and was not safe to do so , he insisted that although the flue be tailor made to bend around the chimmney breast and go to outside straight through the wall is he correct?

Question 2.

I have 22 mm Water pipes running around the house, are these ok ?
he said they are fine.

Question 3.

I have a 15mm has supply and he said with the new 40kw HE boiler it will need to have a 22 or 28 gas supply added!

Any tips on this would be good he has quoted me 4k for the job

Sponsored Links
What model boiler ?

Why not look at the Atmos range, then you can have a flue going up the chimney.

if the chimney isn't used I don't see why it couldn't be ducted straight through, perhap a call to WB or gassafe.

q2.

40Kw and 27 rads off 22mm pipe, I dont think so, there must be bigger from the boiler as a minimum.

Just a thought, is it a one pipe sytem, and is the boiler going in the same place.

q3

Depends on the distance and serveral other factors, but 15mm won't be anywhere near large enough.

To be honest i prefer the method of going through the wall since otherwise i would have to organize or get them to organize scaffolding for the roof wich is also asbestos up there somewhere so i don't want to use that option, since that both adds to the cost.

And as for the 22mm water pipework ive just been on the phone to another installer and he said it would be fine if the plan and pumps are correctly fitted w/e he was on about.

and its not a pipe it was fitted by British Gas for 30k about 15 years ago, wich is why i am not to worried about the pipe ect. just a straight swap really same place same room just a different boiler on the wall right?

Ive been told about the condensation or whatervr the new one gives and it doesnt bother me

and its not a pipe it was fitted by British Gas for 30k about 15 years ago
I assume you mean that the pipe was sized for a 30kW boiler, not that it cost you £30k to have it installed!!

In which case, why are you having a 40kW boiler installed? How did the installer size the boiler? Did he use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator? If not, use it yourself, then you will know what size boiler you really need.

Sponsored Links
I think he is thinking of a combi, to serve maybe 3 bathrooms and a couple of showers Dave. ;)

If have thought all those years ago, 27rads and 40kw would have been done by BG commercial and would have been ludicrously expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back