4kW oven 13a socket ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have some doubts about my electrician. I said it to him but he said that he has qualifications and I do not have to worry.

The electrician is from company which build my kitchen extension.

Before electrician work I had oven connected to separate cable (I think 4mm) with separate fuse in garage and switch in kitchen.

Now electrician removed that cable and installed 13A socket for my 4kw oven. This socket is connected with all kitchen sockets and use the same fuse and cable like all sockets ( 2.5 mm or less). He also installed the swith for oven, it was 10A switch the same like he installed for my lights.

When I asked about that swith he chaned it for double pole, but still leave 13A socked.
when i asked him what happen if my oven came without plug, he adavice me to buy plug and connect to cable , then put into socked.

Should i worry about it?

Sponsored Links
Have you a link or do you have model of the appliance.
4kW ovens should not be installed on a 13A socket outlet, but be hardwired.
The guidelines would say that above 2kW, then hard wire.
As for isolator, are you sure it is rated at 10A? As it is common for 2 pole iso to be rated at 20A or above and some do look similar to the standard switch plate.
But I would be concerned, please upload the installation instruction or details of the cooker.

Most electrician (worth their salt), would quote and make provisions for a standard cooker circuit, with appropriate current carrying capacity of the cable and accessories.

Last edited:
Hi
I have some doubts about my electrician. I said it to him but he said that he has qualifications and I do not have to worry.

The electrician is from company which build my kitchen extension.
Do you know that as soon as I got to that I thought "szmulik is probably in deep sh*t here".

Everything PBoD says is true, and more.

If you haven't yet paid all of the money owed to the builder, do not do so.

Demand that the "electrician" (yeah, right,
rolleyes.gif
) shows how connecting a 4kW load via a 13A plug and socket complies with the Wiring Regulations.

Thanks for replies
I have complain to owner of company which build an extension. Today an electrician came and again said that I'm not right.

Fortunately he could not write certificate but he called an inspector for it. When I asked about oven it. Inspector said that he is wrong and electrician had to put another 6 mm wire for oven.

Hi did it after inspector leave my house.

He cut a channel in concrete floor, put cable and hide it as show on picture
During his work he damaged a central heating pipe which promise to fixed until 17:00 (still not fixed).

Any way. Is there any regulation about laying cable on concrete floor on ground floor next to central heating pipes? I want to put tiles on floor but it is doesn't look good for me. I'm not feel safety when i see that cable.

20170327_230940.jpg
20170327_230932.jpg
20170327_230924.jpg
20170327_230924.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have complain to owner of company which build an extension. Today an electrician came and again said that I'm not right.

Fortunately he could not write certificate but he called an inspector for it. When I asked about oven it. Inspector said that he is wrong and electrician had to put another 6 mm wire for oven.
So now you have "official" proof that the electrician was wrong.

What does the owner of the building company say about that?

I did not speak with him after this. I think they hire an electrician. I made complaint today morning and electrician was in my house after 30 minutes. I have made few complains before about less important things like lights position.... usually after call to the owner in 15-30 minutes electrician was in my house and try to fix his mess.
The building company was a perfect for me ....but electrician come to my house. The builders was working very hard and build my extension , wall removing with plastering in 3 weeks.

With regards to central heating pipes and electrical cable.
In your case they must be separated, as the heat dissipated by the central heating can and probably will scorch the sheath (or worse) or the twin and earth cable. It will also have some effect on the current carrying capacity of the cable.

This guy coming into your house performing electrical work is a cowboy and I doubt some of his cable safe zoning is much to be appreciated?

I would have expected, at the bare minimum, for that cable in the concrete floor to be in some plastic conduit - if only to offer some minor protection, and to keep the cable off the pipes.

What kind of electrician would use a light switch as a cooker isolator??

Can you send more pictures the electrical work, to give us an even better idea of the standard of workmanship?

I once was called out to a job, where a maintenance electrician (and use that job title very loosely), had fitted a 13A Swithed fuse connection for a 9kW shower isolator. That wasn't a very pretty site. The FCU was melted so much, that I could not determine what if any fuse has been used.

I would have expected, at the bare minimum, for that cable in the concrete floor to be in some plastic conduit - if only to offer some minor protection, and to keep the cable off the pipes.

Can you send more pictures the electrical work, to give us an even better idea of the standard of workmanship?

I did not take many photos before plastering.

20170313_221105.jpg

He cut of lights of my downstairs bathroom. After that damaged a lot of my house to find and connect correct cable. When he find connect it to switch like on picture bellow.

20170328_232541.jpg

Top picture.
The cable drops on the left hand side start to give a bit of confidence reference cable zones but then that starts to fall apart as we look more to the right.

Bottom picture gives no confidence whatsoever

Is this company covered by a scheme? In which case, get them on to it. This is atrocious!

Yestarday I had installer of my induction hob. He notiticed that the cables for cooker are also 2.5 mm and said that it is not posible to Connect 7kw hob via this cable.

I have cerrificate for which says that cooker cable is 6mm. But it is 2.5.

I woild like report an eletrician. But I have no idea how to do it.

What names are there on the certificate other than the **** who did the 'work'?

NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Stroma ? or any other trade body.

Yes certifacate was issued by other person. He forced an "eletrician" to put 6mm wire to the owen.

He also asked electrician about wire to cooker and 'eletrician ' lied that is 6mm.

The person which write certificate was a friend of 'eletrician'.

I have called him about cable which 'eletrician' lay next to central heating pipe. He come to check it an said that it is no problem.

Do you know any good and available an eletrician in Birmingham .

I can not install my kitchen , most eletrician which I was called can come in 2 -3 weeks.

If I report it it probably take few weeks .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back