5 inch coach screws from wickes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
does any body reccomend using these to fix newel post base to joist :?: the base is 82mm width;joist is 65mm.if so what size pilot?muchos gracias ;)

Sponsored Links
no idea if they are any good but pilot size depends on screw width (i am sure you knew that) but you havent said the width, in the mean time, take a guess and try it on a piece of "scrap" timber

I'm not the best at maths but isn't 82+65mm more than 5 inches?

Why not go to a timber merchants they have them longer and they will be cheaper. Screwed rod would do the same thing if need be, with big washers.

david and julie said:
Screwed rod would do the same thing if need be, with big washers.
But don't ask for "screwed rod", you might end up with a young pimply trainee with an inane grin on his face :LOL: . It's called all-thread and comes in 1 metre lengths and various diameters

Sponsored Links
i was always led to believe it was called "studding" and i would assume no use for this job at all, since (as i understand it) he wants to fix two pieces of timber together, but no access to boths sides, which is what a coach bolt can do, but studding you need to hold both ends

threaded rod for me too. just hope the trainees not called rod :D

5" coach screws are fine for this job. The first section the screw is going through needs a hole wide enough to push the screw through. The second section needs a hole the same diameter as the stem of the screw (ie. not including the thread). If you are going through the newel post first, I would counterbore the hole a bit to allow more of the screw to enter the joist.

Screwed rod or bar, threaded rod or bar, allthread or stud, they are all exactly the same thing.

I am curious if it is a regional or a trade vernacular variation. The building trade often name the same thing slightly differently than the engineering trade would.

If its the newel at the top of the stairs then really this should be knotched over the joist as this partially takes the weight of the stairs, although most of the weight is taken by the weight of the stairs against the joist.
If the newel is a rennovation and not a structural part of the stairs the fixings only need be strong enough to stop the newel wobbling when you use the handrail.

gonna go through joist first after piloting the hole then put 3 in maybe?

david and julie said:
Screwed rod or bar, threaded rod or bar, allthread or stud, they are all exactly the same thing.

I am curious if it is a regional or a trade vernacular variation. The building trade often name the same thing slightly differently than the engineering trade would.
I'm engineering hence all-thread.

david and julie said:
I'm not the best at maths but isn't 82+65mm more than 5 inches?
1" = 25.4mm therefore 82mm+65mm=147mm and 5"=127mm
147mm=approx 5 3/4"

edited to correct quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back