5 month old Vaillant boiler issue, installer acting dodgy - please help!

Hi tony

So was any other person signing it off when he had not installed it.
- YES. the installer & his assistant finished the job on a sunday. next day building mgmt got in touch with me (im the owner) and asked me to send gas safety documentation. I asked this installer about it. in evening he visited the property along with a gas engineer who is gas safe registered (I verified that). he inspected the installation and provided me a safety certificate. this 'issuer'- throughout the installation process he was no where to be seen or involved in any way.

Do you really know the installer's identity?
- he has been around for years. does paint, plumbing, heating, handy jobs and is employed by many people in the block. the block has about 150 flats. the building mgmt knows him well. other developments in our areas also have him listed as a recommended builder & he is actually very busy...

But if he fitted other boilers in the block were they all signed off by someone else?
- Hard to answer till I speak with those owners. I spoke with Security and they indicated that sign off is done by the same person who did my flat.

and while im writing this, im just feeling gutted and silly...

Sponsored Links
I do feel for you op looks like you've been duped by this guy, his pipework skills are shocking.
Not many customers ask to see my gas safe card, twice in total.
But at least you know for next time, check out his credentials.

Tell him if he doesn't sort it out you will phone gas safe and vaillant. If he's an illegal fitter he will probably panic and sort it for you for free. This way you get the job done at his expense. Then phone gassafe and report the basterd.

Sponsored Links
A good point I never even considered, if he needs someone else to sign it off as he is not registered or compitent to do so, yet he is offering to replace the gas valve in the boiler for cash!!!

All the more reason to get gassafe to check it. OP if you DID know he wasn't registered you've only got yourself to blame (appologies if you didn't (y)).

All - thanks for your reply, appreciate your help.

I gathered his feedback from officials within the building who told me that over the years he has installed many boilers in our block of flats. he is known to be reliable and I see him in this block 2 weeks in a month. he does a lot of work around us. interestingly, the building mgmt had questions to me around boiler location to begin with. In that discussion I ended up mentioning his name as installer. Building mgr knew that he has done a few already and said this person is all right!

I have made the mistake of not being thorugh. I should have forced him to show his identity card. But few hundreds more wouldnt have bothered me. Especially when it can put my family at risk. I hired this person because everyone said he was good. But apparently not. yes i have to face the consequences. I am going to give him one last chance to sort the valve out by getting the engineer who issued certificate to do it for me. if he doesnt, I am reporting him to gas safe, vaillant and more importantly building mgmt. if this person looses entry to our block of flats, he is going to feel the pinch, its his bread and butter.

i dont want him touching the boiler unit further.

I am going to give him one last chance to sort the valve out by getting the engineer who issued certificate to do it for me. if he doesnt, I am reporting him to gas safe,

You really need to get this person reported and a maybe a safety check needs to be performed on ALL the work he has done in the building. An explosion due to a gas leak would affect every one in the building.

It isn't just one boiler though is it... He's fitted several in the block......Ronan Point anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back