Vaillant ecotec plus 615 issues - caught b/w Vaillant & Installer

Sponsored Links
To clarify Gas valve was replaced and fitted by Vaillant engineer.

Flue fix was done - 24 hours so far, no leakages. Surprisingly, since the fix the vibration noise occurred only once and for a very very short amount of time : 2-3 seconds tops. before the fix - the noise was louder & lasted WAY longer > 10-15 sec. 'Simond' - on this thread had suspected this to be the problem. well its not resolved but definitely reduced

I agree with Tony when he says that Vaillant guy didnt want to get involved at all just because he saw the dark water. he has gone back and written a report that there were 1000 'ppm' in water. I don't know what 'parts' were these and how did he arrive to such a precise number. all he did was to collect the water in a plastic bucket and showed me - "its dirty - get a power flush" & left

There are so many issues and things that are missed, I am surprised this guy is still being allowed to look at the boiler ........

your points are all carefully thought of, thx. Did i select the installer out of cheap quote? Nope. I am in a purpose built block of flats and this person has done A LOT of boilers in this property. people have been happy & didn't hesitate in recommending. I will speak with the person who signed off his work tomorrow. Flue work as told to me is in line with a 3 degree slope to the boiler. for most part of the flue, its a straight line with one elbow point where the issue occured. I hope you can appreciate that I cant guarantee that slope is correct, I do have to take installers word for it. I am not going to let that installer any where near. previous boiler was fine, the old flue had developed a leak. as that boiler was about 14 years old, i decided to go for a completely new setup.

Thanks a lot for all the replies. here is what I am thinking.

1. Hearing from all of you - the first step is to get the flush done. I am tempted to go for powerflush and magnaclean and will of course hire someone else to do this.

2. Review flue work - I can ask the engineer who signed off to come and review OR hire a new engineer. Again I am tempted to hire someone else.

3. Once Point 1&2 are done and if noise is still a problem, make the video as suggested and ask vaillant to get in for inspection & take it from there.

Thoughts?

I forgot to ask, can powerflush have a downside? I mean can it make things worse? If yes, then may be I should avoid powerflush.

Thats the best way to get iver it, it sounds like a problem vaillant can sort quickly that is relavent to this model and size, but u need to sort ur bit first, he will gave dine quick turbidity test on the water

Sponsored Links
a turbidity test is done on the water in a few seconds which gives a rough PPM count 1000/800/600/400/200 (a pass is 200 or less)
Looking at the pic you show of the water 1000 seems quite probable.

You need someone to review the flue. to be honest you should not have let the illegeal fitter back any where near it and cetainly should not be using the boiler until its fully tested and proven safe by someone who actually has a clue. (preferably qualifications and tools to match)

a turbidity test is done on the water in a few seconds which gives a rough PPM count 1000/800/600/400/200 (a pass is 200 or less)
Looking at the pic you show of the water 1000 seems quite probable.

You need someone to review the flue. to be honest you should not have let the illegeal fitter back any where near it and cetainly should not be using the boiler until its fully tested and proven safe by someone who actually has a clue. (preferably qualifications and tools to match)

so ask a registered engineer to carry out a full gas safety inspection?

I've decided that this entire series of threads is a wind up. :rolleyes:

I'm too bored to care....drain the cleanser out, refill add inhibitor, make sure the flue don't leak, call vaillant to fix gas valve & have a happy new year!

Since some of my colleagues have been making fun of it, I only said that a boiler could be tweeked to work better with a leaking inner flue seal.

Of course the correct procedure is to correct the flue seal and many boilers would be classed as at risk if the seal leakage was significant as that would upset combustion..

I once went to a boiler under the warranty which the silly installer was unable to identify the fault even though the flames were lifting off. It had a long vertical flue through the loft and it was pretty easy to identify which seal was leaking because of the raised temperature on the outside.

In all probability a full flush out and chemical clean with inhibitor added is all that will be required on your system and then Vaillant can be called back to readjust.

How any installer can leave a system with water that colour is beyond me.

Tony

I can't see what the colour of the water has to do with the combustion settings.

I can entirely see how the colour of the water would affect the willingness of the boiler manufacturer to carry out warranty work.

I never ceases to amaze me that customers baulk at the cost of the time and equipment needed (powerflush usually) to properly prepare their system for a new boiler. They'd far rather take the word of a chancer and risk their money on exposing their new, wafer thin high efficiency boiler on a skanky dirt filled radiator network.

But when the new boiler starts playing up around 12-24months in, everyone including the manufacturer gets the blame. If the system is not properly cleaned at the outset, you are taking a big big gamble. Boilers are only reliable with water in them; sludge, scale, rust, these will all age your boiler by a decade as soon as they migrate into it, especially a combi.

Boiler manufacturers know that 80% of callouts in the first 24 months are installer error, and the majority of these are muck in the boiler, which the manufacturer didn't put there.

A "nice" boiler manufacturer would ignore any deficiency in the installation in respect of boiler faults where were unrelated.

But the reality is that boiler sales are relatively low profit and, whilst perhaps Worcester are more reasonable than the others, it is pretty normal for all other manufacturers to refuse any work on boiler where the water is dirty primarily because dirty water is responsible for most boiler failures in the first few years within the warranty period.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back