5amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that the wattage is advised for 3 amp fuses and for 10 amp fuses as being under 700 watts and over 700 watts respectively, where then does the 5 amp fuse fit into this? :?:

Sponsored Links
It seems a mid point has been taken here with regard to the 3A, but don't know why 10A should be > 700W, when as you say, there is a 5A inbetween.

Unless the appliances have motors, in which case the start-up current may well be more than the running current.

At 230V, 3A fuse is good for max 690W
At 240V, 3A fuse is good for max 720W

5A @ 230 = 1150 W
5A @ 240 = 1200 W

10A @ 230 = 2300 W
10A @ 240 = 2400 W

13A @ 230 = 2990 W
13A @ 240 = 3120 W

Ok it looks as if i've been out of this game for too long but 10A fuses (I assume we're talking plug-type cartridge fuses) since when? 3,5 & 13A yeah but 10A :confused: or am I adding 1+1 and getting 4?

afaict you can get plug fuses in
1A
2A
3A
5A
7A
10A
13A

all except 3 5 and 13 are hard to get and rarely used in practice 1A ones are particularlly hard to obtain

link

Sponsored Links
The Standard BS1361 fuses available are. 3A, 5A, 10A and 13A.

Other ratings are available to special order for special tasks up to the maximum of 13A, but you will never see these for sale in the high street.

FWL_Engineer said:
Other ratings are available to special order for special tasks up to the maximum of 13A, but you will never see these for sale in the high street.

i don't know of any high street stores that presently sell them
but maplin used to sell all except the 1A in thier stores (maplin has really got ****ty in recent times)

also i'm sure i remember reading soemwhere about a british standard that demanded use of 7A fuses in office furniture supplies i don't remember which one it was though and i couldn't find anything about it when i searched just now

See here for 1 and 2A fuses.

But the guy seems to think that 13A at 230 is nearly 3.5kW.......

plugwash said:
(maplin has really got **** in recent times)

Yea, great shame that. I guess the accountants got too much power.

Same with Wickes - good shed before they appointed a guy called Sweatbum as CEO. InspectorKnacker got hold of him for Enron style accounting but he must have been a real smart*ss cos he got away with it.

I remember we used to have something with a 7 amp fuse. I'v never seen one since. All of the X10 lamp modules are fitted with a 2 amp fuse, and even the X10 wall switch has one (though it only has live terminals, so I assume it's to prevent overloading rather than so one can use it on a circuit above 10a)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back