6 en-suites with electric showers - How to keep it safe !?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate is going to get rid of gas and set up a 6 Bed HMO with all en-suites and wants to makes sure he asks the electrician (& other trades?) the right type of questions / instructions so everyone is safe and it all works. There are two issues as far as I can see:

1. High amount of electric load if everyone decides to take a shower at the same time.,that'll be 6 electric 7.5kw showers on. What should be asking the electrician to get around/fix this issue?
  2. Water pressure - what can be put in to make sure there is enough for everyone (again on the assumption if 6 showers are on at the same time).
Many thanks for all your help

Sponsored Links
A 7.5kw shower isn't going to put out much warm water so the pressure issue might not be as bad as you fear. Possibly the wrong forum to be asking about it though

Why 7.5kW?
Don't think I've put in anything less than 8.5kW for at least 15 years. I'm surprised they still make them - most people want >9kW

Regarding the pressure, he could always run them through a pump from a storage tank, or more conveniently independantly pumped shower units.

Sponsored Links
Keep gas.
Your normal supply to the house will be 100A at the most. It could be as low as 60A.
The main supply fuse will pop If a couple of showers are in use plus a couple of other items (don't forget you'll also be powering heating/cooking etc too).
When you pop the main fuse, the lekky company has to come out to replace it. That takes time.
They'll come out once. When it happens again they will ask some serious questions and charge you serious money.

Keep the gas.

Further…if he really must do it all with electricity he could put a small Megaflo in each suite with a single immersion heater. That would limit the water heating demand to 6 X 13A. But even that is a lot for a single phase supply once you add 6 lots of cooking, lighting, heating, etc etc.

One large megaflow cylinder, two immersions, possibly an electric flow boiler. Thermostatic HC fed showers.

If mate is letting the rooms with hot water included then gas will be about a third of the price of peak rate electric.

7.5kW showers are rather weedy and scream 'budget'. That may reflect the rest of the property and the target market, but in London there would probably be a demand for good quality rooms and would attract a higher rent, and probably lower maintenance costs than a more downmarket property.

Why 7.5kW? Don't think I've put in anything less than 8.5kW for at least 15 years. I'm surprised they still make them - most people want >9kW
True. If this is a 'budget' exercise, then, as well as the cost of the shower, I suppose that 7.5 kW ones allow 32A circuits to be used, potentially with just 4mm² cable. It's also possible, as has been suggested, that the landlord might be paying for the electricity!

Kind Regards, John

I guess the reason for getting rid of gas it because he wants the tenants to pay electric only and make it easy.

I don't think they will install 4mm because

1) No one would ever fit a shower with 4mm
2) It would be silly not to future proof it.

Landlords usually ditch gas as it requires yearly testing, and insurance can be higher. Most landlords prefer electric everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back