6491X singles vs T/E cores

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a small amount of wiring to put into trunking and conduit - 4mm² and 10mm².

I've got 4mm² & 10mm² G/Y, but I'd like to avoid buying whole reels for the others, as I'll never get through it.

Any reasons why I shouldn't strip the cores out of T/E?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you mean T&E, then it depends on the manner of stripping out.

The risks are (a) nicking the insulation if cutting, and (b) stretching the conductors if not cutting.

You may be able to use the T&E CPC as a 'cheese wire', i.e. by pulling the sheath in one direction and the CPC in the other. The CPC should then be scrapped (or appropriately derated), since its CSA would have been reduced by stretching.

I wouldn't want the cpc for anything, and yes, I would use it to slice open the sheath.

My Q really is about the suitability of the other two cores for conduit wiring.

I don't see a problem.
Both options will be multi-stranded in any case so neither would be better that the other when it comes to ease of feeding through a conduit which may contain bends.

Sponsored Links
Mine will, which is why I don't fancy trying to get 10mm² T/E through it...

No different I think to when you gland off T+E or swa into a trunking then run just the inner cores round the trunking to the D/B.

The only difference I see is the cores have no BS number stamped on them, not that it matters really.

We often with 3 phase stuff for short runs, to save buying 4 coloured coils, will buy a lump of 4 core swa strip it and just buy the earth, similar to what your doing.

I've done this before plenty of times. I suppose as long as you rate the CCC of the cable as if it were still double-sheathed and it is mechanically protected (which it will be) then you are not doing anything wrong.

In industrial installations where (for example) SWA is clipped to steels and then enters a metal trunking system, I have glanded into the trunking and run the cores through the trunking to the DB. You can then use a CPC from the gland to the DB. Takes a lot of stripping though!

I wonder if you can get 1mm singles........?

We often with 3 phase stuff for short runs, to save buying 4 coloured coils, will buy a lump of 4 core swa strip it and just buy the earth, similar to what your doing.
That's a point - somewhere I think I've got a length of 2-core 10mm² SWA...

Ye gods.

Earlier this evening I got as far as removing the outer sheath and the armour from the 10mm² SWA. Not much fun. Only 2 small nicks from the Stanley knife though.

I judge it worthwhile for 10mm², but applying my acid test for any sort of job like that, which is "If a mate asked me to do it, and offered me £X for my trouble, would I tell him to p*** off?", I think the answer for 4mm² would be "yes, I would tell him to". :evil:

Although the voltage rating on twin and earth is 300/500 and on HO7V-R it is 450/750 no idea why!

because T+E is aimed at domestic single phase, where it's likely that the highest voltage is 240V**.. and singles can be used for 3 phase in trunking and conduit etc, so 415V?

** on the odd occasion you may have a large house that has 3phase install and 3 phase distribution, but this is often sub-divided into seperate single phase boards more local to the areas being served..

Although the voltage rating on twin and earth is 300/500 and on HO7V-R it is 450/750 no idea why!

because T+E is aimed at domestic single phase, where it's likely that the highest voltage is 240V**.. and singles can be used for 3 phase in trunking and conduit etc, so 415V?
The SWA I'm stripping says 600/1000V. Job's a good-un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back