6mm T+E or Flex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new 6mm cable run done in prep for a cooker replacement. All is good with that but connecting to the cooker.. Either I'm being stupid or missing something obvious (and I'm fine with that if I learn something from it!)

So from the cooker connection point a 3m run of 6mm T+E was connected to the old cooker which had the terminal block style connection. The new cooker a Zanussi induction all singing thing though is slightly different:
20210222_204247.jpg

20210222_204228.jpg

As can be seen with the neutral I tried the "twist" and hook but the rather stubby screws don't give much clearance so am I over thinking it and it just needs cable stripped, make hook and screw in? Or should I make my life easier now and in the future and go grab some 6mm flex?

Sponsored Links
The wire goes under the left side of the screw, the tab at the top prevents it from being pulled in as the screw is tightened.
Not necessary or desirable to twist the wire around the screw.

6mm² can be used.
4mm² H07 flex is a better choice.

cooker_wire.jpg

You could use a ring or forked crimp on flex as an alternative if space permitted.

Blup

The wire goes under the left side of the screw, the tab at the top prevents it from being pulled in as the screw is tightened.
Not necessary or desirable to twist the wire around the screw.

6mm² can be used.
4mm² H07 flex is a better choice.

View attachment 224082

Thanks for that! I'll grab some flex when I'm passing the local CEF tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
No real need to use flex if it means creating more work.

If you do decide to use the existing 6mm2 T+E, I tend to

Strip lightly more insulation off the wire end, twist with pliers, and cut off the scruffy bit at the end.

Insert into terminal as Flameport suggests.

The reason I like to twist the wire ends (in this case) is to ensure there are no strands not making contact with the terminal screw. You get a far better connection in my opinion.

The bare earth needs to be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving. Here I would double the end over to ensure a good connection to the terminal.

Using flex on these type of terminals can be a bit messy, as the strands can get a bit chewed up, so if you use flex be patient and try and get a neat sound connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back