8 lights 1 switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, now I’m sure this has been covered a million times but thought I’d ask again and ensure I’m doing the right thing.

Ok, I’ve just got a job lot on 12 lights that I intend to use in my garage. Gunna do 4 rows of 2 and save the remaining four for our upcoming extension as the garage will be getting bigger.

So. I’m just hoping for some advice ref wiring.

Power in - twin and earth
Each light has twin and earth too.

I have a single switch I’d like to use to have all the lights on at once.

Ideally I’d like to leave the last bank ready to be extended for the additional lights.

What do I do???

Do I get a bunch of junction boxes or ceiling roses to make my joins?

Would someone be able to draw me a sketch of the wiring layout? And ideally tell me what I need to buy to make the thing safe.

I’d like to do this job this week as I’m off work. And with the garage getting darker I’m keen to sort my lighting issue out (it’s a 9m x 3m garage with 1 Batton light at one end)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi all, now I’m sure this has been covered a million times but thought I’d ask again and ensure I’m doing the right thing.

Ok, I’ve just got a job lot on 12 lights that I intend to use in my garage. Gunna do 4 rows of 2 and save the remaining four for our upcoming extension as the garage will be getting bigger.

So. I’m just hoping for some advice ref wiring.

Power in - twin and earth
Each light has twin and earth too.

I have a single switch I’d like to use to have all the lights on at once.

Ideally I’d like to leave the last bank ready to be extended for the additional lights.

What do I do???

Do I get a bunch of junction boxes or ceiling roses to make my joins?

Would someone be able to draw me a sketch of the wiring layout? And ideally tell me what I need to buy to make the thing safe.

I’d like to do this job this week as I’m off work. And with the garage getting darker I’m keen to sort my lighting issue out (it’s a 9m x 3m garage with 1 Batton light at one end)

Thanks
OMG.
8 lights in a garage, plus a bank for 4 additional lights! The mind boggles!
(Down-lights - no doubt! - but, I could be wrong.)
Can you imagine the wattage used if these are halogen lamps? (Possibly, 400 W to 600 W)

One might hope that they are LED, but there are better LED devices than downlights, which these may be.

B-A-S, do you wish to impart your wisdom?

Sponsored Links
OMG.
8 lights in a garage, plus a bank for 4 additional lights! The mind boggles!
(Down-lights - no doubt! - but, I could be wrong.)
Can you imagine the wattage used if these are halogen lamps? (Possibly, 400 W to 600 W)

One might hope that they are LED, but there are better LED devices than downlights, which these may be.

B-A-S, do you wish to impart your wisdom?

Only 30w per light so nothing crazy don’t worry

30watts per light? You crazy. LEDs would be a sixth of that energy rating.

The switch is used to interrupt the live feed to your lights, like a normal switch.
More WIKI stuff for you to look at.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Single-way-lighting
If you don't understand this, you need an electrician.

All sorted. Mocked up the wiring on my bench and still alive and 4 lights working. Will hit the shops tomorrow for all the blocks.

My mistake on wattage current bulbs are 18w, so each bank will be 36w. Now at the mo I have a twin Batton with 36w bulbs in. And that's it. So I'll go from that to 4 sets of 36w. Yeah I appreciate led will be cheaper to run and long term may look to swap but these lights cost me a tenner and for this winter at least they'll allow me to stay in the garage for longer so that's worth it to me.

Do you have 2 doors in the garage and want a switch at both ?

Not yet. We'll, there's the main door to the garage (up and over) but I don't use it. I purely use the connecting door to the house so one switch is fine for now.

Thanks all. All sorted, just need some blocks and I'm away. Turn my bench layout to a ceiling one, will use safer blocks than I used for my learner layout

Which blocks are you talking about?

If connector blocks, then you don't need any.

Sorry, junction boxes.

I was intending to mount each light onto a board - the board will have the light, and a block. The cable from the lights themselves is pretty short and I want to keep it as simple as possible once it's all ready to be drilled into the roof, so junction boxes should help.

I'm using the Parallel layout, and was going to join all connections via junction boxes

Can you post a link to, or a picture of the lights fittings you are using please?

upload_2018-11-12_21-31-25.png

Only Sticker say Reggiani, which is of course the brand. I can't find a model number though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back