A hypothetical question ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New condensing boiler to be fitted 24kw conventional with 22mm gas connection.

Gas is 22mm copper at meter then joins inch iron (unseen) and appears elsewhere.

Would it in any way contravene gas regs to connect 22mm copper back to the iron to supply new boiler? (pending sufficient gas pressure is there) ?

So in simple terms it would be 22mm copper - inch iron - back to 22mm copper.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There shouldnt be a problem but.........................................
I'm sure your registered gas installer will be able to check whats what and keep it all legaland safe.

Cheers mrgas

it was my understanding that minimum pressure drops must be adhered to but does it matter whats actually carrying the gas ? whether it be copper/iron/lead etc?

Cheers mrgas

it was my understanding that minimum pressure drops must be adhered to but does it matter whats actually carrying the gas ? whether it be copper/iron/lead etc?

Any metal fitting approved for gas is ok.
No plastic inside buildings.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

I suppose what im getting at essentially is if the start of run is 22mm copper then connects to inch iron(which will be smaller internal bore) then back to 22mm copper you are changing down a size to then increase again. ok if pressure is sufficient?

22mm copper is outside diameter where as 1" iron pipe is inside diameter.

Thanks

I suppose what im getting at essentially is if the start of run is 22mm copper then connects to inch iron(which will be smaller internal bore) then back to 22mm copper you are changing down a size to then increase again. ok if pressure is sufficient?

You obviously dont know that iron pipe is designated according to the internal thread size. So what you have measured as 1 " on the outside is actually just 3/4" in the inside.

The other problem is the iron is rougher on the inside and with higher gas flow resistance creates more pressure loss.

As stated your gas registered installer will deal with the measurement/calculation of the pressure loss which must be less than 1 mB.

You do have a registered installer dont you ???

Its odd that you have never asked him or even referred to him?

Tony

Cheers mrgas

Lead is now a no no subject but your rgi installer will know this! he will recomend what exacly is required as stated before!!

Thanks

You obviously dont know that iron pipe is designated according to the internal thread size. So what you have measured as 1 " on the outside is actually just 3/4" in the inside.

The other problem is the iron is rougher on the inside and with higher gas flow resistance creates more pressure loss.

As stated your gas registered installer will deal with the measurement/calculation of the pressure loss which must be less than 1 mB.

You do have a registered installer dont you ???

Its odd that you have never asked him or even referred to him?

Tony

Tony

As per the title " a hypothetical question" i havent referred to my rgi because there isnt one. Hence why im here. I work within the industry and heard someone say (with 32 yrs exp) that you "cant size down then up again" i was merely asking if the pressure drop is within boundaries is it ok to do this with the pipe, pending the material is suitable for gas internally ie copper/iron.

cheers

when the flying do you internally thread black iron
When it's an elbow, socket, tee etc.
1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back