A new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two boilers in my house, A Glow-worm Fuelsaver F - for the central heating, supplying 7 radiators at 9.962kwts,
the other a Main - Medway Super for hot water,

Both do an excellent job , but the life of each must be nearing its end.

My question is - what sort of single boiler should I be looking for to replace both?.
I'd like to know beforehand so that I have a little knowledge to avoid being ripped off when I need to replace one urgently.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks transam,

I thought that it might be a combination boiler, but would you know what size (output) I would be looking for?

When I look at them the output varies quite a lot, so does the cost.

Bearing in mind that the output for the present heating boiler, the Glow-worm Fuelsaver F, is sufficent for the radiators nearly 10Kw. how much larger i.e what Kw Combination boiler should I be looking at for it to meet my needs without going over the top in cost.

What I mean is I don't want to be sold a 30Kw boiler when a 15Kw will do the job sufficiently.

Thanks

The output of a combi boiler , is relevant to the amont of hot water you want , this is the deciding factor , all combis will start at an output of 24 k.w , at a 35 deg c , temp rise u would get a flow rate of approx 9.5 litres a min' , 28 kw.s 11.5 litres a min' 32 kw 13 litres a min' , these flowrates are for instantaneous combis , the most popular ,( u can get storage type combis ), if a 15 kw combi was available it would produce 6 litres a min at a 35 deg c temp rise !

Sponsored Links
your medway is 24kw so anything over that will be an improvement on what you already have.

go for a good make of boiler ie vissmann 100 30kw if you find an installer that has been on vissmann course you get a 5 year guarantee hope this is of some help
martyheat

I'd like to know beforehand so that I have a little knowledge to avoid being ripped off when I need to replace one urgently.

What you're implying is that installers will operate in a dishonest manner immediately they realise your knowledge is inferior to theirs. In which case maybe you should be more concerned how you'll get through life itself than your next boiler.

here goto plumbing shop ask for a catalog on boilers or goto wickes or B&Q look at price for etheir 24kw or 30kw boiler
then add at least 200 pound for decent one that your starting margin
then add labour and pipe work
trvs and clock and room stat
and spark if necessary
this will give you idea of what your paying

Back to reality!

Your water heater is 24 kW so any 24 kW combi will be as good. A bit more say 28 or 30 kW will give a little bit more hot water.

The heating is no problem as the combi is rated for the hot water delivery so will easily supply 9.962 kW.

I did wonder how you know your heating requirement so accurately?

Do you know it will increase significantly if there is a 30 mph freezing wind outside?

Tony

Thank you every one for your input, it will be very usefull I'm sure.

Tibbot, What I am saying is this, if one of the boilers goes down tomorrow I cannot replace it with the same product due to the current regulations (I was told a couple of years ago).
I will not have time to go seeking advice and recommendations from people, I will want my heating and water back on line asap. so I would like to have a little idea of what I should be looking for.
"In which case maybe you should be more concerned how you'll get through life itself than your next boiler".
As for that, I'm now 73, served my country, and got through life very well thank you, mainly by being a little cautious I suppose.

Agile - Thank you, In 1985 DIY was a bit more flexible than it it is today.
and I was a bit more agile, I got a book from the Library and over a year installed the central heating myself, learning to solder joints, digging up and laying pipes under the concrete ground floors, and working out the radiator requirements and boiler size (33.780btu), I got as far as the Gas and Electrical supply, and then had a qualified Tradesman to test and connect up for me. I have been very pleased with the system but have had to change the boilers once.
The reason for two boilers, heating and hot water, is because the hot water was installed years before (have lived here for 45 years), and is in the kichen), and I could not see the point in disturbing it at that time......my life history :))

Thanks again everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back