A second chance in life

The police sargent looking after my case is named sargent Dick well had a doctor from my surgery phone me today to see how I was named Dr cox :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: couldn't make it up.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is quite the same, but it still gives me the fear just thinking about it....

Bitterly cold winter- maybe 1982 I would have been 6 or so. Mum took my brother and I to see a friend out in the sticks.
Their kids took brother and I out for a walk across farmers fields to the lake. I was egged on by older brother and the rest to walk across the frozen lake assured that it would hold me, though no-one else stepped onto the ice. I can remember a penny of utter-doom dropping as I was half way across; that we were about 2 miles from the adults, the lake was very deep, very wide and the ice was really thin.

I know (as well as anyone can) that I got away with my life that day.

I remember that winter - it went down to -18 deg C in Walsall in Jan '82, and was even colder in our village. We too slid on the frozen canal and ponds - to be fair though, it was so cold for a few weeks, so the ice was like bell-metal.

Aye. Them were proper winters. I remember 81 or 82 at school in Yorkshire. We were trying to get home but all the roads were shut and the rail line was shut. We had to stay at school an extra week or something silly. Then BR managed to get a plough down the line.

Let's just say there wasn't room to breathe on the way home.... ;)

CC1: regarding your accident, you have, as you appreciate, been lucky.

I don't know what speed they were doing.

A distant relative, although in his 90's was fit as a flea and rode his bike every day.

He was crossing the road outside his house with his bike (pushing it) and died after being hit by a car (in a 30 zone) doing in excess of 60 mph.

His body went straight through the windscreen and came to rest on the back seat. The bloke driving didn't even know he'd run someone over at first...

Sponsored Links
A distant relative, although in his 90's was fit as a flea and rode his bike every day.

He was crossing the road outside his house with his bike (pushing it) and died after being hit by a car (in a 30 zone) doing in excess of 60 mph.

His body went straight through the windscreen and came to rest on the back seat. The bloke driving didn't even know he'd run someone over at first...

Just think, if death by dangerous driving were to be punished by hanging, that would have been much less likely to have happened.

Those elements of society who think nothing of breaking the law are having a field day. There lacks any definite encouragement to live by the law these days.

Back