AA Smart Breakdown

That's a thanks from me as well WGT.

I think my car has a 80ah alternator, so it's current (no pun intended) 90ah battery should be about right?
I'm a bit dubious about the battery, despite it being only 21 months old, so I will probably aim for 100ah when the time comes for a replacement. There's a lot of electrics in these old BM's despite the model being introduced 25 years ago.

Sponsored Links
I think my car has a 80ah alternator, so it's current (no pun intended) 90ah battery should be about right?

80amp is small compare to a 90ah battery. Mine is 80ah with a 130amp alternator.

I agree with the above comment, never idle a cold engine, just to charge an under used battery. Use a mains charger for that. I make a point of never starting the car up, unless it will run 20 or 30 miles.

Sponsored Links
I've often read/heard this advice, but is it possible to fit a higher AH (or CCA) rated battery than the car's standard alternator can fully charge?
ie my car's manual (printed over 20 years ago) states a spec. of 70AH but today a 019 size battery up to 100AH will fit the tray.

There is no reason not to, if you don't mind paying the extra for the larger battery. It will give you you longer cranking over, if you have trouble starting. I always fit the largest the tray will accept.

Back