Add 2nd socket to existing spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a 13amp socket spur taken from the ring, if i insert a fused spur before the original spur socket can I then add a second spur 13amp socket by via cable from the first spur socket?

I appreciate total of both spur sockets would be limited to 13amp loading.

Attachments

• Existing spur.jpg
    Existing spur.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 169
  • New spur.jpg
    New spur.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I swapped first socket to a 4 module grid switch (double socket size) so had a single socket, fuse holder, and switch in orignal position and then rest also went through same fuse.
That's fine (easy) if the existing socket is a double one, but I suspect from what the OP has said is that it's only single - in which case adding a separate FCU, as he proposes, would not only be cheaper, but probably easire.

Kind Regards, John

A little note, the large modules used in the LAP "grid" range are more generally known as "Euro modules". As well as LAP, both BG and Scolmore offer the Euro modules you would need to build such a plate.

I assumed I need a fused spur before the first (existing) 13amp socket I have on my spur rather than the fuse being in the sockets I fit, so that everything after the fused spur is protected.
What eric showed was, in effect, something you could replace your existing socket with, to avoid having a separate FCU/"Fused Spur". The incoming (spur) supply would feed the switch and fuse (which therefore would be, functionally, an FCU/"Fused Sur") and the output side of the fuse would then feed that socket in the same box, and could also then feed any/all of your additional sockets (since all sockets, including the one in the same box would be downstream of the fuse).

[the switch module would only be necessary if you wanted the equivalent of a switched FCU ("switched Fused Spur"). If not, you could have just the fuse module, without the switch ]

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back