Adding sockets - cable running options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I'm considering adding some sockets to a room (or two) in my house.
Basically, my master bedroom has got 2 single sockets which is useless when you consider the amount of appliances we have these days.

So, firstly, I suppose I should check that it's OK for a DIYer to add spurs to circuits providing I research the correct way to do it, use quality components, and run it in accordance with any regulations.

Next, I wondered how I might be best doing this. Our internal walls are plaster board but there's 2 external walls too. I'd rather not have to cut channels to run the cable to the sockets because of the mess to decor. However, the decor will need doing at some point anyway.

Is it possible to lower the cable from the loft down the cavity of the external wall until it meets the existing socket? I could then run the cable through the loft and down the internal wall to the location I need. This would be quite handy too because I want my sockets high up for the TV/DVD player. I guess there's a height limit in the regs too.

All I'm thinking is, if I were to hire an electrician then I'd expect them to do it without disturbing too much of the decor. But, I can't figure out how that might be done!

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.
Rich

Sponsored Links
Noggins in the wall will likely stop you feeding cable.
Any new cable or sockets now need RCD protection. There are exceptions but not likely to be much help.
Heights for new domestic premises are 450mm to 1200mm from finished floor level but you don't have to comply with old property.
You need to find if original socket is radial, ring or spur with the latter you would need to add a fused connection unit. (FCU)
Electrician do make a mess.

Is it possible to lower the cable from the loft down the cavity of the external wall until it meets the existing socket?

I have heard that there can be problems when running cables in cavity walls. Damp can be caused if the cable bridges the cavity.
Also there are issues if the wall is later filled with cavity insulation.

Is it possible to lower the cable from the loft down the cavity of the external wall until it meets the existing socket?

I have heard that there can be problems when running cables in cavity walls. Damp can be caused if the cable bridges the cavity.
Also there are issues if the wall is later filled with cavity insulation.

But isn't the existing cable in the cavity? Maybe it is channeled into the wall but covered by wallpaper and/or paint?

Sponsored Links
No. It will be chased into the plaster on the internal surface of the inner wall.

Excellent. Then I shall schedule some redecoration in the near future :cry:

As for the other rooms......ugh! I suppose I'll swap some single sockets for doubles.

Before you schedule some redecoration i would schedule a registered electrician YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!!

'Cable in a cavity' does that sound like a 'good idea' and likely to be 'allowed'

Do you know about safe zones?
Do you know how to identify wether an existing socket is on a radial or is already a spur?

What size cable will you be using and why?

How many spurs may you add to a ring final?

oharaf - not very helpful of you, although I can take from your comment that I need to research a few specific things.

Point is, this forum is here to help DIYers. The reason I use it is because I've had plenty of problems with supposedly professional tradesmen and I like to know what's involved in something before I decide whether to do it myself or get someone in. If I do get someone in then I am at least armed with some useful knowledge so I can check that they know what they're doing.

In fact, I recently called in an electrician to replace a shower cable because, having done research on here, it turned out that it was quite an involved job and would require certification. I ended up with a botched job from the electrician which I could have done myself.

I'm a web developer. If you came to one of the web developer forums that I visit and asked for help, I wouldn't tell you to get a pro to build a site for you because you didn't know anything. I'd tell you some of the things that you need to consider for your project and let you decide whether you could attempt that yourself in full or in part, or to get someone to do the whole lot.

I appreciate that electrics are potentially lethal and I have a very healthy respect for it.

I'm already aware of radials and rings and how they will affect any attempt to install new sockets. In fact, this site has some very good How Tos on those very subjects.

What I tend to do with these projects is spend a good month or two researching everything I can and then making a decision.

As well as saving some money I get a sense of achievement from doing a job myself. I also know exactly what has been done so that if any problems occur in future I can think about the possible causes. It's also more convenient because I can do the job on a Sunday afternoon when the wife and kids are out visiting friends rather than getting someone to come round when only my wife is in and she's trying to juggle dinner and children with the interruption of power being switched off.

If you have some advice, then offer it up. If the only reason you come here is to laugh at DIYers who don't know the lingo or the regs then you should remove your head from your bottom and find another outlet for your chest thumping.

OP - if you read this forum at all you should be aware that Oharaf is a competent, qualified, registered practising electrician who is helpful to many on this forum but at the same time is also mindful of when posters claim to want to get "an idea" and then end up doing it themselves.

This in turn frequently gives us electricians work to do sorting out the mess; it often gives the fire brigade work as well - one in my street on Christmas morning for starters. Dodgy DIY electrics according to the fireman.

You should be aware that any electrical work, DIY or professional, should be carried out to comply with BS7671:2008. Unless you have both the correct calibrated testing equipment and the technical competence to both use it and understand the results then you cannot possibly comply with the BS. This in turn should give you problems when you come to sell your property if you answer the solicitors questions honestly.

Try the competent person website (www.competentperson.co.uk) for those electricians registered under Part P; then if you have problems with the standard of their work you can always pursue them through their Part P scheme provider.

Thank you Creme!!! That is exactly what i am getting at.

RTB, as Creme has pointed out I am a qualified, registered electrician and I am more than willing to offer advice, but, when it is blindingly obvious someone is intending to attempt works that they have not the slightest inkling about it really gets my goat. If you are serious about carrying out such works the first thing you will need to read and digest is BS7671:2008, approximately £70 from the book shop.

Then you will have to learn to carryout the series of live and dead tests required, purchase or hire the relevant test equipment. Take out some PLI and produce an MWC or EIC depending on what you do.

So I reckon before you even think about starting you are probably heading toward laying out £300+, it would be cheaper to get a pro in from

www.competentperson.co.uk

Now recently I have thought about building a Web Site for my business.

I just happen to have a 1st class in Mathematics and an MSc. in E-Learning so I reckon with a bit of research I could produce my own Website, but you know what, I want it done right and i want it done well.

So I know a Web Developer, I've done some work for him, I asked if he would be interested and how much. We have come to an arrangement, I'll provide him with some new sockets and bits and pieces he will produce a web site for me.

In other words I'm paying for a professional to do the job properly rather than being a tight arse who is prepared to risk my house and even worse wife and kids for a couple of hundred quid

He would need PLI as to produce his own EIC/MWC so as not to invalidate his house insurance!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back