Adding sockets - cable running options

Sponsored Links
Any competent and qualified (registered) electrician should have PLI in the unlikely(hopefully)event that something goes wrong.

yes, but we're talking about an individual doing the electrics in his own house here.. so why would he need PLI..
most PLI won't pay out for jobs you do in your own home anyway..

Sponsored Links
most PLI won't pay out for jobs you do in your own home anyway..
As a friend of mine who ran a building company found out when he had his guys do some work in his flat, and they cut through a pipe and watered the flat below.....

Okay, I'm sorry for irritating you oharaf but you did the same to me.

It would appear that there is very little work that can be done by a DIYer. I've stated several reasons why I'd like to do certain jobs myself and I'll add to that list "because I don't know an electrician that I can trust" and "because I don't have the funds available to pay". It's not about being a tight arse, it's about having to budget for things.

It seems totally ridiculous that someone who is perfectly capable of reading and learning the relevant technical and safety information is not allowed to do the job unless they get something to prove that they are competent. But then I also understand why it's like that, because there are numb skulls out there who take short cuts just to save money.

I service my own car because it's cheaper and I know I do a better job than my trusted garage. They do OK, but I take more care. I also change my own brake pads for the same reasons. I don't see why electrics have to be any different.

Anyway, maybe we should make a list of typical jobs that a DIYer can reasonably expect to do without having to shell out hundreds of pounds on equipment and literature and passing exams.

Maybe I should become an electrician...

Anyway, maybe we should make a list of typical jobs that a DIYer can reasonably expect to do without having to shell out hundreds of pounds on equipment and literature and passing exams.
It's already been done - read Schedule 2B.

Although even many of those jobs should be tested. Even though they aren't notifiable P1 applies to them.

Thanks again BAN. I'd seen that text before but somewhere else.

This is a confusing old business indeed. So, it would seem that adding sockets or fused spurs to an existing ring or radial is not notifiable but I should still be testing.....which means getting the kit and knowledge, or getting someone to do that bit for me.

I've just found out that my next door neighbour is on the Competent Person list so I'll have a word with him.

Op, if you can find a local electrician who is willing to allow you to run cables as part of the design and install process subject to his specifications, then money can be saved this way.

I did it myself, the electrician was able to check cable runs visually, and he made the final connections, tested and signed it off. I was merely acting as his cable monkey, which saved me paying for his valuable time in this regard.

Op, if you can find a local electrician who is willing to allow you to run cables as part of the design and install process subject to his specifications, then money can be saved this way.

I did it myself, the electrician was able to check cable runs visually, and he made the final connections, tested and signed it off. I was merely acting as his cable monkey, which saved me paying for his valuable time in this regard.

I think that's what I'm going to try and sort out with my next door neighbour. Hopefully he can provide the materials too at a price nearer to the trade prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back