Adding sockets + RCD protection to rewireable board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer has a rewireable board with no RCD protection and wants a selection of socket outlets moved and added.
I'd like to change the whole board of course but they're reluctant to pay for it all at the moment, fair enough. They didn't fancy having individual RCD sockets added by the way.
I'm going to suggest splitting the tails and installing a new C/U running side by side with the old box, just powering the s/o ring via an rcbo, thus giving them the opportunity to switch each circuit over as & when future work is carried out on it.
Apart from it costing them more long term (probably) are there any pitfalls with this approach?
Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Nope it's the best way to do it.

Make sure you fit a nice big board which will have more than enough capacity to supply all the circuits and more.

Total false economy not to replace the old board entirely.
It sounds due for an upgrade.

You should be able to find cheap but good dual RCD boards.

I'm sure you'll find it just as easy to change the lot than ****** about.

The only thing to be wary of is the old wiring, and if you fancy connecting it to a new cu. You may discover all sorts of faults with the new RCDs.

So there are some good reasons not to change the lot.

Sponsored Links
I'd be interested to know how the wiring would be extended to reach the new CU in the future.

When all circuits are moved over, wouldn't you end up with a big junction at the old CU, (and possibly be unable to remove the old CU because it is a junction)

I'd be interested to know how the wiring would be extended to reach the new CU in the future.

When all circuits are moved over, wouldn't you end up with a big junction at the old CU, (and possibly be unable to remove the old CU because it is a junction)

Exactly. Well said.

You pull the circuit out of the old board and re-route it into the new board. No joining out required.

If you're not ADDING any new circuits, why not run a 6 mm2 from the old fuse to a stand alone RCCB and enclosure, and connect the old cables to the outgoing side?

is life so easy that the cables reach ?

If you do fit a 2nd big CU, make sure you fit the correct size MCB's for the future circuits. or leave the MCB's with the owner.

The MCB's could be obsolete by the time the circuits get moved over!

Thanks all, I think I've persuaded them to have a complete new unit now, although I wouldn't be surprised if they change their minds again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back