Adding sockets to older system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add some sockets to my kitchen. It currently has only three sockets and each of these on have one set of wires in them (1 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth).

What type of circuit is this and how do I add more sockets.

I have checked all the sockets in the house that I can find and they all have just one set of wires??

Sponsored Links
Well, they could all be individual radials :eek:

However, I would doubt this.

A few questions.

How old is the property?

What size is it? Flat, 3 bed semi?

How many sockets in total do you have?

What COLOUR are the wires behind these sockets?

Are they all insulated with an outer grey pvc coating?

How many Fuses/ MCB's are in your consumer unit and what ratings are they?

My first thoughts are that you may have ALOT of junction boxes under your floors.

Sponsored Links
its a 3 bed semi. The fuse box has a hinged lid with a large metal switch that must be pulled down first before the lid will open. This switches all the electrics off.

There are four fuses in the box, all are pullout type with links of fuse wire.

I think its a very old system. All I want is some extra sockets without it being majorly expensive.

The wires in the sockets are red, black and bare copper.

Sounds like time for updating the installation (probably over 40 years old), not adding to it. Sorry.

A fuse box like that, and the wiring style sounds distinctly like the wiring is the right age to be rubber sheathed.

Can you post us any pictures of any parts of your wiring? The fuse box and surrounding area, and also the back of a socket would be especially usefull too.

If the cables are sheathed with black material, it is likely rubber... :cry:

I am new to this site.....and shocked......
Work in a kitchen spells Part P. Do yourself a favour and your insurance get a registered electrician to take a look.

Right i am off to see if i can get some help rebuilding my combi boiler!

Sounds way old to me? Likely hood of rubber coated is very high.

Do your light switches have an earth?

Sparkienot, where in yorkshire are you out of curiosity?

Definitely worth getting a sparky to come and advise you, a PIR might be a very wise investment

..though if it is very old, this may be obvious as soon as he walks through the door, so money spent on further test and inspection might be better put towards a rewire :(

C'mon, lets see those pictures!

Got an electrician to check it out. He took one look at the fuse box and just said " yup....that is old!!!"

Quoted me £1900 for full rewire, more sockets and new fuse box. Does this sound about right?

With out seeing the job it's hard to say, but it certainly doesn't sound shockingly expensive, or worryingly cheap, so I'd say that it is probably something like.

If you are unsure, you could ask another electrician round to quote for exactly the same scope of works.

We would still all really like to see a photo of your existing setup though. We really are that sad, and really love pictures.

Don't forget, if there is anything your electrician says which you don't understand, or don't know what to decide, we will be here ready and waiting to help you along your way. Good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back