Additional power point installed correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I wonder if someone is able to advise me or point me in the right direction. I had been wanting an additional double power point installing in our master bedroom. I was ready to have this done by a qualified electrician but on returning home from work at the weekend I found out that my father in law had gone ahead and done the work as he said he knows what he's doing?? He didn't ask me before doing it! The additional double power point installed in our master bedroom is a 13a switched socket. I just want to query if it has been done correctly based off my description. Just so you're aware, I'm a novice when it comes to electrics.

Before any alterations took place we had a cu (installed in 2008) with rcd. Nothing had been touched on the cu before this weekend and I have all the necessary certificates from when the cu was installed.

We only have 1 double power point in each bedroom which is quite limiting so I wanted an additional double point to be installed. My father in law decided as he couldn't run a spur off my existing power socket in the bedroom that he would install a junction box in our airing cupboard with a feed from an existing 2.5mm t+e. This existing 2.5mm cable was running directly from the cu in to the upstairs airing cupboard and connected to a fused switch, this then had a 1.5mm cable leading to the central heating control and from there in to a combi boiler. This was all done professionally in 2008, that's the cu and new boiler. The father in law has fitted the junction box below the existing fused switch. So going in to the junction box we have the original 2.5mm t+e cable, a new section of 2.5mm t+e cable to the fused switch and a new 2.5mm cable which is supplying the power to the new 13a power point. In addition to this he has gone and put a new 32a mcb in to the consumer unit, which previously had a 16a mcb.

I just need to know from a safety point of view if this sounds right? Would I be better to put the original 16a mcb back in the cu? Should the new stretch of cable (just under 3m in length) have trunking? The cable isn't exposed and is behind a wooden boxed in section leading from our second bedroom. Does the cable need air around it to cool down?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Sponsored Links
No it has not been done correctly and sounds to be unsafe.

Sounds like he's up rated a 16a radial circuit MCB to a 32a MCB which would be for a ring final circuit to start off with....

Thanks for the reply. So what needs to happen for me to put it right? Am I best to remove the power point wiring from the junction box and put the original 16a mcbback in place? Or is there anyway of keeping the socket and if so how? Many thanks.

Can you post a few photos? It might show some possible solutions/other issues.

Sponsored Links
You need to get an electrician who can make a proper judgement as to what can be done to rectify the situation and keep the new double socket. preferably ASAP so that the potentially dangerous situation with the MCB can be made safe

he said he knows what he's doing
He was mistaken.

Thanks for the reply. So what needs to happen for me to put it right? Am I best to remove the power point wiring from the junction box and put the original 16a mcbback in place? Or is there anyway of keeping the socket and if so how? Many thanks.
Assuming that the actual wiring was done properly (and who knows?), you could just put the 16A breaker back in, but what do you want to use the new socket for? Did that circuit only supply the boiler?

There are lots of ifs and buts so I would agree that you should get an electrician.

You may be able to have a 25A or 20A MCB.

My first question, as with lots of DIYers who seem unable to do anything without one, is "Why has he used a junction box?"

The socket was to be used for a computer and monitor. The original circuit was only supplying the boiler yes. Would a 16a breaker make it safe again and allow me to use the socket? I'll try and get some photos.

The socket was to be used for a computer and monitor. The original circuit was only supplying the boiler yes.
A 16A circuit could cope with all of that with no problems.

Why did your FIL change the breaker? o_O

Would a 16a breaker make it safe again and allow me to use the socket?
ItsAnybodysGuess.jpg

As others have said - too many unknowns, and evidence of your FIL's competence is in short supply....

You could post a copy of the minor works certificate he provided, the readings might give an indication! :LOL:

It is unlikely the point will be well installed, going from the information provided.

Or it could be perfect and he's turned the wiring into a correctly configured ring final...

I've no idea why he decided to change the original breaker?? As I say, I was quite happy for someone to come in and sort it.

Give the guy a break' er see a lot worse DIY electrics than that. He's got that 1969 Readers Digest DIY manual and got confused by ring main wiring and thought he needed a 32a mcb:confused: Just get him to reinsate the 16a mcb. As has been said, no need for the JB, he could have spurred from the FCU. That's DIY:rolleyes:.

How do you tell him, without upsetting him ?(n)

DS

In all fairness to him, he is quite thorough. That's great and thanks for all of the advice. I've just put 16a mcb back in and all good. Is it safe to leave the junction box in place rather than inviting him round to alter it again. I'll end up with something else needing to be sorted out otherwise.

Yes. Buy a Matindale socket tester and check the polarity and earthing of the additional socket.

Give him it as a thank you !

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back