Adhesive in grout spaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Put half a dozen wall tiles on today and noticed some adhesive in the lines between the tile which should obviously be filled with grout at the end. I'm wondering whether this will make a balls up of the grouting - will it?

If so how do I remove it when I lay more tiles tomorrow? Is it a real issue for the 6 or so I have laid?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It wont do the grouting much good if there's no room for the grout. Always keep the tile adhesive clear of the grout lines. If you do get some in there, use a piece of folded card and run it into the joint to clean it out right away. Try something stronger tomorrow to remove the old adhesive, even a folded piece of sandpaper to try and sand/scrape it out. It will spoil the look of the job if the tile adhesive is showing through the grout. :(

Roughcaster.

Thanks, I'll have a good look this morning, there is nothing protruding past the tile faces, it's a few mm back in most areas, there are just a couple of inches where the adhesive has "squidged" out between the tiles and is sitting flush with the tile face.

I'll get some card at the ready for the next batch.

If its gone off you can use a stanley knife or grout raker to get the asdhesive out,go carefully so as not to damage the edge of the new tiles ;)
When I fit tiles I butt the tile Im fitting up against the previous one,give it a little movement to spead the adhesive underneath then slide it over for the spacers.
This not only keeps the tiles flat but also reduces the adhesive coming through.Have a paint brush and sponge handy to clean the joints after each couple of runs.

Sponsored Links
When I fit tiles I butt the tile Im fitting up against the previous one,give it a little movement to spead the adhesive underneath then slide it over for the spacers.
Yep, this is a good tip that really works. When I do this, I lay the tile directly next to the previous tile (as you say), then in one movement, slighty wiggle the tile and move it away from the previous tile to the correct position.
Never thought about using a paint brush lance, not a bad idea. I just use a spacer. Eeee you learn something new every day.

To remove any surplus adhesive, I use an old 1" wide wood chisel - shifts it easily.

Paint brush? I have a missus with a cloth waiting!!! :LOL:

Got an old wood chisel and carefully raked out the excess adhesive.
Some excellent tips on laying though, thanks!!

a chisel, the tilers best friend!

i never thought of a paint brush too........

As it happens I have an old chisel I found in a ceiling void, sharpened it on the honing stone and hey presto, an instant "unwanted adhesive" remover.

Missus has been handy, carding the joints out and doing all the wiping when I've been sticking them on. I've had to provide my own beer though!! Job is coming together I will post a pic or two soon.

Thanks all for your advice.

Put half a dozen wall tiles on today and noticed some adhesive in the lines between the tile which should obviously be filled with grout at the end. I'm wondering whether this will make a balls up of the grouting - will it?

If so how do I remove it when I lay more tiles tomorrow? Is it a real issue for the 6 or so I have laid?

Thanks for any advice.

Adhesive between the tiles is a deffo no no the easiest way to keep it from doing this is to lay your first level line of tiles then use your trowel or scraper and run it along the top of the laid tiles,this stops any adhesive moving into the joint when you put the next line on.
If you get lots of adhesive in the joins then you could borrow a www.feinmultimaster.co.uk or just as the other chap said a sharp stanley knife does the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back