Advice - Best Way to change from Ceiling Rose to Junction Box in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Any advice on the following is much appreciated.

I am replacing current bathroom flush light fitting with an IP44 rated Flush Light fitting.
The current fitting is connected to Ceiling rose plate (which is then just covered by the flush mount fitting). Its a ring circuit.

I cant just replace it with the new fitting and use the current ceiling rose plate
- As the new IP44 light fitting is double insulated, this leaves no room for the ceiling rose plate as it sticks out from the ceiling a little.
- the old fitting had enough space, but the IP44 fitting has none.

So one approach would be to remove the ceiling rose and cover chocblox connections with insulated tape and push back into the ceiling. Im not sure if that is best, and whether it ok to do in a bathroom.

So im going to get a Junction box or an IP44 enclosure for the connectors and then put them in the ceiling.

I have 3 questions.

1. when i push the Junction Box or enclosure through the hole in the ceiling, does it have to be secured in someway? Or is it ok for it to just be pushed above the plasterboard ceiling?

2. Does any enclosure of Junction Box have to be IP44 or greater as its going to be used in bathroom ceiling?

3. Any advice on best product to use? Ive come across Junction Box, Wago box, Choco Box, Ashley J501 Connector Box, Wago Connectors?

Sponsored Links
1. If you have access to the loft space above the bathroom, then the best method is to use a junction box, screwed to a joist and for the cables to be clipped to the joist, to prevent them being pulled out.

2. Only the fitting needs to be IP44. JBs in the ceiling void do not.

3. If you are not/cannot going to secure the JB (i.e. leave it floating in the ceiling void, then you need to use a junction with cable strain relief. The Ashley J501 is ideal for this and is made for the job.

PS do not use chock block strip wrapped in insulating tape!

You may find this guide useful
17th Edition Junction Box Guide - pdf 440kB

1. when i push the Junction Box or enclosure through the hole in the ceiling, does it have to be secured in someway? Or is it ok for it to just be pushed above the plasterboard ceiling?
If you do push the joint into the ceiling void, it must be left accessible and the enclosurehave cable restraints.
2. Does any enclosure of Junction Box have to be IP44 or greater as its going to be used in bathroom ceiling?
The enclosure has to comply to the environment and conditions it needs protecting from, so no if it is contained in the ceiling void the IP rating can be to a lesser degree.
3. Any advice on best product to use? Ive come across Junction Box, Wago box, Choco Box, Ashley J501 Connector Box, Wago Connectors?
My personal advice would be to avoid joints/junction that cannot be easily accessed, if a joint is required in a location that is not so easy to access, then a Ashley/Hager J804 on a lighting circuit would be my choice. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...e=b&ad_type=&gclid=CIf7zszZlMoCFaMSwwod2OQJpw
PS. I doubt that your lighting circuit is a ring final circuit, it is most likely to be looped in.
I am slowly becoming a fan of looping in at the switches now, as manufacturers of lighting products these days, rarely take in to consideration of the loop in at the light method and the difficulties the installer may come across when terminal access and cable space is restricted. Even though this method has been used for donkey's years!

Sponsored Links
PrenticeBoyOfDerry
Thanks for correcting me - you are quite right, its a looped in lighting circuit. Apologies for getting the term wrong (blush)

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I can proceed with clarity now.
Such an array of choice out there and easy for someone who doesn't do this everyday, to get lost in worried about issues that aren't relevant.
Will buy a Ashley / Jagger J804 20A Junction box, or if thats not available whichever Maintenance free Junction box is.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back