Advice for earthing new ceiling light please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to replace a ceiling pendent for a new light/fan. The instructions included are not the best as they appear to be for a slightly different model with a different base so don't show me what I should do with the earth. The bracket and light are both metal.

The bracket that fixes to the ceiling has a hole with GND marked on it, but no obvious way to attach an earth cable.

What would the advice be to ensure this is safe? Do I need to find a way to secure an earth cable to the bracket? Can I attach it to the light itself as it seems as though this might be easier?

I feel like I might be missing something as the manufacturer has marked GND on the bracket.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IMG_20231209_092907839_HDR.jpgIMG_20231209_092936020_HDR.jpg

Photos attached....

That is very clearly a class 1 fitting meaning it does require an earth, however no provision has been made so I wouldn't be confident that the light has been made to the appropriate standards and I would not install it personally. Where did you buy it?

That is very clearly a class 1 fitting meaning it does require an earth, however no provision has been made so I wouldn't be confident that the light has been made to the appropriate standards and I would not install it personally. Where did you buy it?
Amazon

Sponsored Links
As Jon c said the item needs an Earth. Without an Earth it could become unsafe if touched, ( Vibration from fan can abrade insulation of wire on sharp edges of metal parts. )

Colours of Black and White are incorrect. Not used in the UK and in the US Black is Live and White is Neutral
junk.jpg

Best advice is to return the item as it is unfit for sale in the UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back