Advice for work needing done (+quotes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could give me a little bit of advice. I'm looking to have a couple of repairs carried out in my home, but the issue is not something I'm familiar with so I was looking for a bit of impartial advice to make sure the fix proposed is correct (i.e not a cowboy job) and the quotes are reasonable.

We have a leaking downpipe and a weathered mullion to the rear of our home (top floor tenement). Previous owners of our home have hacked into communal downpipe to attach a branch pipe and they've used a putty looking substance to fill hole - this is now leaking. As we'll need scaffolding for the pipe repair, we thought we should carry out a repair to a mullion in the same area. It's sandstone and has previously had what looks like concrete render applied over the top. This has weathered badly and the mullion is crumbling away.

So our quotes are:
1. At rear of property erect scaffold to required height to carry out works.
2. Cut out defective section of cast pipe and renew with correct branch and clip pipe.
3. Test on completion.
4. Remove defective Mullion column from between window.
5. Replace with same materials removed and test.
6. Remove all debris on completion leaving area clean and tidy.
Cost £2678.00+VAT

Quote 2
1. Erect scaffold to rear.
2. Supply and fit multi fit to downpipe, refit pipe.
3. Supply and fit mesh to mullion.
4. Render over mesh 2 coats of sand and cement.
5. Seal window to each side of mullion.
Cost £1882.00+VAT

Any advice would be appreciated, especially with regard to the mullion issue as that's out biggest cost!

Sponsored Links
I don’t understand why you’re even contemplating the mullion ‘repair’ which will not be permanent as you have already found. Can’t really comment on the prices though as there’s not enough like for like quotes. Have you spoken with all the affected neighbours etc regarding the scaffolding?

Thanks for replying. I'm not an expert so can't say for certain that the substance is concrete. It was probably applied when they changed the windows about 25 years ago. I'm really looking for someone with experience to confirm a sand and concrete mix would be a suitable render over sandstone, or if I should request that the builder use a particular material to fix it.

The neighbours know we need a repair carried out; as it's clear the leak is from the faulty work done on the downpipe originating from our flat, there is no communal charge.

Last edited:
Jon

A portland cement and sand render is definitely not the correct way to repair sandstone. Because it is impervious to water whilst sandstone is porous, moisture is trapped behind the render hastening the demise of the mullion when it freezes and encourages damp penetration in to the wall. If your in a victorian tenement the walls are possibly of rubble construction which damp will easily penetrate. Replacement of the mullion is really the only long term solution. I should add perhaps that whilst not a stonemason I do have a sandstone fronted house in Glasgow. Just hope your stone is red rather than blonde.

Regards
Martin

Sponsored Links
Martin, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Thank you so much...I'm still getting a couple of quotes through, but if you have any recommendations I'd be grateful! It's a red sandstone tenement.

Jon

Regrettably I haven't a name but can I suggest you contact Glasgow City Heritage Trust, they have an office in Bell Street. They should be able to point you at suitable contractors for the work your needing.

Regards
Martin

joneech, hI.

I have undertaken a couple of such repairs, but as a part of Subsidence damage Insurance claims, it is perfectly feasible to have a mullion cast out of Concrete but with a face of a really good colour match to the Red Sandstone, I have heard of a technique where, pieces of the crumbling Sandstone mullion are removed, then ground up to be used as the face for the cast to shape Concrete replacement mullion [ if that makes any sense] biggest problem is trying to get a colour match for the replacement Mullion, the shape of the Mullion is simply a Concrete Shuttering issue.

Of the two costs you have flagged to date the more expensive one appears to be the best option [sorry about that] the cost to apply Cement render as previously posted is a complete and utter no-go whatsoever area, the one area of this cost I do not understand is the term for "materials removed and test" which to me makes no sense?

Other things to consider?
1/. Is the property "Factored?" [spit / spit]
2/. There is a possibility that your mullion problem could be considered as a Structural issue that affects all owners? in that, if the mullion fails the lintel will fall and the façade will be severely affected?
3/. Bad news is that your Insurer will not consider any claim because the Insurer would consider that the damage has occurred over a long period of time and as such would be considered by the Insurer as a so called "maintenance issue" for you to sort out financially.

The repair to the down pipe are of a shall we say more trivial nature to that of the Mullion.

Ken.

There's some pretty good comments here. As you live in a flat, it's a leased property, and you're paying a service charge, these repairs should be handled by the freeholder/managing agent as they are part of the structure of the property. Having said that, the first quote looks the best, but I certainly wouldn't consider just cutting out the damaged "section" of cast iron pipe. Cast iron pipes are damned strong, but bloody heavy, and also tend to be solidly bolted to the wall; getting a plastic section in the middle, isn't going to be easy, or look that good. Common sense says cut out the damaged section, and put a plastic pipe from there on upwards.

As long as the upper part of the sandstone mullion can be supported, then cutting out the damaged section should be easy, and replacing it with a new piece to match is more sensible than redoing a repair that didn't previously work. Just as it's already been commented on; what the hell do they mean by trying to test the mullion replacement.

As long as the upper part of the sandstone mullion can be supported, then cutting out the damaged section should be easy, and replacing it with a new piece to match is more sensible than redoing a repair that didn't previously work. Just as it's already been commented on; what the hell do they mean by trying to test the mullion replacement.

The simple answer to this is NO, NO, NO!

This is a Glasgow Tenement ! [A block of flats built probably about 1899 / 1920, the Sandstone is the give away] or so I have assumed, HOPE I AM CORRECT???

You either replace the entire thing or leave it alone a patch such as you are advocating will not be structurally sound, believe me i have been there and have several Tee Shirts

Ken

I think this'd be better if moved to BUILDING. This trade-talk, after all, and you might get more answers there.

Sponsored Links
Back