Advice needed: porcelain tiles, wrong adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time reader, and finally signed up in a moment of desperate. Bit of an obvious one I feel, but looking for any advice from you guys.

I've rushed the bathroom tiling, and gone and fixed some 600x300 porcelain tiles to the walls using 'Wickes Waterproof Wall Tile Adhesive' - for Ceramic tiles... (yes I know!)

The job looks good. And the tiles seem to be fixed. Literally just had a conversation with my plumber and he informs me that I'm an idiot and they'll fall off soon enough.

Bottom line, I want to do the job properly. And I'll be heading there straight after work to rip off and start from scratch. Unless there is any advice suggesting otherwise.

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Rip them off, clean them up and start again using a proper bagged adhesive, also what substrate are these going on? Have you taken into account the weight of the tiles, adhesive & grout for the surface you are tiling on?

Thanks for the reply.

Any advice on cleaning the tiles? just water and a brush?

I've built a stud wall, that has been boarded with Aquapanel. The other walls are solid brick which have the old plaster (browning, and skimmed - all though some skim has come off in places).

I'll be honest, I would have liked to have skimmed the walls again but was trying to rush through so that the plumber could fit the shower whilst he was in.

Could kick myself. The one time I strive away from my life mantra of 'do it once do it right' and it bites me in the butt.

Lesson learned.

Sponsored Links
The maximum weight for tiles on Skim is 20Kg Sq/Mtr, i calculate that your tiles weigh approximately 24Kg Sq/Mtr (based on them being 10mm thick) and you need to add to this 4Kg Sq/Mtr for adhesive and grout, so whilst the Aqua panel will take the weight, the skim will not, regardless of the adhesive you use.

The old adhesive may still be soft in which case it will come off fairly easy, depends on when you put them up, failing that decent sharp scraper should get it off.

I suggest you read the tiling sticky and search the archive posts, these topics have been covered many times.

The adhesive you have chosen will be fine, but most pros would use something like BAL, Weber Ardex, Mapei Granfix etc....

IF you decide to put the tiles back up on the skim you will need an acrylic primer to stop the cement based adhesive reacting with the plaster, although baring in mind the above i would not recommend it, at some point it will fail, and those tiles are a bit heavy to drop on your toes, or any other part of your anatomy.

Woah this gets worse.

I know the pack is 25kg and covers 1.08m2. So I'm walking on thin ice.

Guessing the recommended is too aquapanel the whole wall then...

You could use MR (moisture resistant) plasterboard 12.5mm dot and dab onto the wall, BUT you must use mechanical fixings through the dabs to support, relying on the adhesive alone will not be good enough, un-skimmed plasterboard will take 32Kg Sq/Mtr weight, and only use plasterboard in non wet areas, if its a wet area then yes Aquapanel.

Avoid all of the diy stuff. Get proper trade quality adhesive instead. I'd board the whole room out to be sure and weigh the tiles to see what you're up against. Your grout and adhesive is going to be about 4kg per m2.

K

i know a chap who mentioned similar scenario to me approx 12mth ago job done and decided to risk it it and keep them....... they are still up!!

Solid porcelain, 600x300 he used TUBBED GEAR just beacause the tub said porcelain.

Im not agreeing this is right but its your own calculated risk.

Do you have children living there?? imagine if they came down (god forbid)

if the answer is yes to the last question then i think you know the answer.

Cheers Paul.

Wish I had read this only 30 minutes ago; I've attempted to remove a tile (well two) both now chipped. And still intact on the wall. Then removed the bath, and tried to remove the lower corner tile. Had all fingers behind it (and I'm a rock climber) and it's going nowhere.

Think I'll take the risk. Now just to fit a corner shelf to hide said two broken tiles! - it'll niggle away at me knowing that it's there, but I've a whole house to bring back from the grave so it'll have to stay for now.

Just need to find a good corner shelf to hide the chipped tiles... And perhaps a crash helmet for those chilled out moments in the bath when your not looking out for falling debris!

Tar.

Thanks Maxsys and mypetearthling, appreciate the help. Wish I had joined this forum sooner and got the job done correctly first time. For now, I think I'll create more harm than good and just work myself up into a frenzy. The properties empty for the next 4 months, so I'll hopefully get to revisit this before we move in.

Cheers.

To be honest the ones stuck on the Aqua panel will be better adhered than on the skim, did you you and pull any of those off, they would be my biggest concern now if the others appear to be stuck fast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back