Advice needed re ideal istor he260 boiler please

£2000 is a load of crap, that would have been including installation - but still way too dear for an ideal. See my post above.

Sponsored Links
if these are cheap boilers and cost £2000, how much should we expect to be paying for a new decent boiler as unfortunately with having a new baby we have very little money at the moment with myself being on maternity leave.

Not quite that simple the boilers you have is a boiler with a unvented cylinder attached. So a standard combi might not be a good solution
if there are 3 bathrooms.

Sponsored Links
why not have the immersion heater reconnected to at least give you hot water, you wont have to rush into a decision and it will give you the chance to get some quotes.

Is switching the immersion back on something wwe can do ourselves or is it something that we need a CORGI registered person to do?

£2000 is a load of crap, that would have been including installation - but still way too dear for an ideal. See my post above.

is that a joke son

tbh these istors are 1400-00 to buy then fittings pipe inhibitor, flush,

cost you 1800 for the gear, its the likes of you who do stuff for **** all

Thanks for that link Steve. what is a hot water priority system?

If heating is on the unit will switch to hot water if a tap is turned on and back to heating when tap is turned off all combi and combi storage units give hot water priority.

Steve

I dont know onlyfitideal , I have fitted boilers that aint been touched for 4.5 years and they aint fell to bits, the installer hasnt even got the decency to even look, everything shouts poor quality,

to the op yes you can switch on the immersion heater your self but as the gas boiler has been condemmed it might be better to have a gassafe look at it first (especially as the cable was getting warm)

Is switching the immersion back on something wwe can do ourselves or is it something that we need a CORGI registered person to do?

Contact an electrican to check the cable if you think there may be a fault or just switch it on as said above the cable will get warm.

It has nothing to do with the original installer he fitted it, it hasn't been maintained why should he look at it? He worked for the developer not the op. I know it's a bummer but that's fact, as said get a sparks in to look at the immersion wire to at least get hot water. Don't fit a ideal again you would be mad too.

For the costs involved in fitting these types of appliances, may look at seperate boiler & unvented cylinder. Guessing yours in an upstairs airing cupboard in the middle of the house with a vertical flue. The last Worcester Hiflow I did came in at 3.5k. Whichever way you look at it it isn't going to be a cheap fix.. I don't know much about the Istor but if these have a seperate immersion, then get that checked & connected, and at least you will have hot water throughout the summer, and give you time to look at alternative solutions. Decisions made in panic mode will allways come back to bite you.

Mike

John506 wrote

You're looking around £1500 - £2000 for boiler swap (top end vaillant included). I wouldn't pay more than £1800

Thanks for your advice , John. This will be very helpful to the OP finding a solution to their problem.

You forgot to mention that you don''t know anything about boilers and posted an enquiry about sourcing a book about their workings just a month ago on this forum.

Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. Or in your case, misleading, even if well intentioned.

No installer of any merit is going to be able to install an alternative product to Istor (ie: with a similar performance) for £1800. You are way off the mark.

Actually the Ideal cylinder is fine and could be retained with any new heat only or system boiler. So it would be feesible to fit a new boiler and reuse the cylinder for about £1800. In fact thats what I would recommend for a customer.

The boiler on the Istor seems to be pretty much an ordinary Ideal boiler and I almost wonder if one could be used to repace it. Not that anyone would ever want to fit an Ideal of that type though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back