advice on becoming gas safe engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all really interested in becoming gas safe engineer but where do i start i am already working not in this filed of work thou so will need to learn around work commitments and what would be the price to become qualified and the length of time it would take thanks all

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is go down your local collage, get your qualification, dont fall into the trap of short courses, they will teach you the basics but your end up a fish outter water in the end.

no i do not have any plumbing qualifications,so best thing to do would be to learn/do plumbing course then onto gas course thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the nature of your current Job?, depending on experience or qualifications it may be possible to get a job with a Gas service company as a trainee?

To be honest best thing you can do is get a full time plumbing apprenticeship.

This should take 4 years full time Low paid employment.

Then prob bout 5-10 years experience on the job learning fron your mistakes.

Then go for it!

Or in other words you're probably better off staying where you are now

How old are you?

Why do you want to be an engineer?

What type of work have you done/do

It's only when you start persuing something that opportunitys present themselves. It's a hard slog but rewarding.

The reason I ask how old you are is because it has Bearing on the avenues that may be open to you and the financial commitments you may have while trying to achieve your goal.

I wouldn't do a Short course as said. I would ask everyone I could in the trade through friends and relatives for work experience. Be prepared to work for nothing sometimes.

Read a lot

Get some flyers made and ask at local merchants if you can leave some on their counter, carry some with you and look out for vans with pipe carriers and leave them on their windscreens

The idea of the flyers is to sell yourself to engineers/ plumbers to get an apprenticeship ( just in case that wasn't clear)

Do the short course put a sign on the van and away you go.

Only way you'll get into it at the moment.

Depending on where are in the country you might make more
stacking shelves at tesco with the amount of work about at the moment.

I had a guy working with me so that he could do his portfolio.

He was on a short course and knew nothing. The only thing the college were good for was collecting his money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back