Advice on cheap mitre saws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi seen some of these in b&q for around £70 are they any good or can you reccomend an alternative for around the same price.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Mitre saws around that price are much of a muchness really. Most all share the same/similar design so there will be little difference between them. Is the one you're looking at a sliding mitre saw? Could be their Performance Power ones.

Have a look on Screwfix they have a few decent ones. I bought the 10" Erbauer one. Fine for ripping up 2"x4" however not really accurate enough for architrave work!

exactly as neds says :D

you need to double your budget if accuracy is important
you can get reasonably accurate results for £70 but very hit and miss

look at rexon and ryobi for good saws on a buget

If the one your looking at is by Red(something) then have a real good look at its operation.

I got one when they put it in the sales a while back.

There is a clamp that comes with it to hold the work.
This can only be used on the left side when the saw is vertical.
left side 45 degree & it hits the motor housing.
right side is useless too.

Mine has already gone blunt & started smelling of burning motor windings/bushes etc and all I did was a 15' square laminate floor :D

Sponsored Links
B&Q did have (and may still have) a Makita non slider mitre saw for around the £100 mark.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK110MLS100_MLS100_MakitaMitreSaw.htm

This represents good value for money IMHO

When looking at the various options in the marketplace move the angle of the saw and see if the angle stops are positive with no movement, with some of the cheapies you can get a bit of play before you tighten it down which could play havoc with any accurate mitre cuts.

If you buy a cheapie saw the weakest link may well be the blade so allow a bit in your budget for a replacement of good quality.

I bought a performance power mitre saw for about £25 and for value for money it can't be beaten, the angle stops are positive, much better than some saws 4 times the money in fact.

I have 2 mitre saws. The smaller one cost me £30 about 6 years ago. Its great for architraves, its a no-name brand, and will only cut about 110mm at 90°.
The 2nd cost £129 from bnq, its a macallister with red-eye laser, cuts about 280mm at 90°. I've not had any problems with it tbh and its been asked to do plenty. I've used it on 2 large laminate floored rooms. I do think the blade needs changing for a better one now as it tends to rip up the wood somewhat, but great for cutting joists etc. Its a little noisy, but its works! :D

Both decent bargains really.

£600 for a top noptch dewalt ??? I'd expect it to make me a cuppa for that much moolah!

looks like the £30 difference buys you 65mm extra cutting width.
They look better than mine which cost £129 3 years ago, and mine is still going strong.

I'd be happy buying another macallister, and they've surely only gotten better over the past 3 years.

Thanks for the advice.

What I plan to use it for is some decking,building a shed and to do some skirting boards.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...er&fh_refpath=facet_51277854&ts=1231249666861

Are the above two good enough for the job?

Thanks

B&Q really need to get their act together with the info (or lack of :evil: ) on their website. It doesn't really give you the full spec on the features list.

I suggest you go into the store and read the spec on the box, this will give you more info regarding the dimensions of timber both will cut, try and find the tool geek in the store and get some feedback as to how many have been returned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back