advice on choice of recessed downlight please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to replace the (broken) light socket in our cupboard under the stairs with a recessed downlight. The reason I want it recessed is that there isn't much space in there and anything that projects out is likely to be broken again. The problem with the standard GU10 spot lights that I'm looking at is that they're perhaps too focussed (35 degree beam?) to light up the space. Are there GU10 lights out there that aren't as focussed as that? Or another alternative? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there enough actual room for a surface light? You could fit one which would withstand a few knocks.

Or a surface light on a wall?

Yes, there's room behind the plasterboard for a surface light. I want to fit a light where the existing cable and small hole in the plasterboard already exist. Any ideas? Are there gu10's with wide beams?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What do you mean wired "updside down"? The current cable to the (broken) existing fitting comprises just two wires (+ maybe an earth, can't check right now as I'm away) which I assume to be a SwL and a N.

Look at the switch - you'll be able to tell if the N goes there, or if what you have is a permanent live and a switched live.

What I meant by "upside down" is with the switch actually making the connection when the rocker is in the "up = off" position. That will mean that power is supplied to the light, and as it's a non-maintained emergency light, it won't light up. Flipping the switch to the "down = on" position will break the supply, and the light will come on.

Which is what it will also do if the lighting circuit trips for any reason, which can be very handy, hence the suggestion.

They don't look very stylish:

EMTLC3NM.JPG

but they are cheap and robust.

You can get flush ones if there's room behind the plasterboard:

EMAG3NMW.JPG

I'm still not keen on that method of switching a non-maintained fitting.

Put in a maintained version which is actually designed to be used as a normal light.

The loop is already at the fitting so no alterations need to be made to the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back