Advice on front door threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am after advice about my front door.

The builders put a slab of concrete under the door, it is partially outside, partially inside meaning we have an ugly slab of concrete visible where the carpet ends - with a patio outside too high it is allowing water in, as well as transmitting the cold inside during winter freezing weather etc

The builders also made a cutout in the skirting board, which they filled with rubber type material which is rapidly discolouring -

They have admitted the patio outside is too high, and will lower it, but I am sure the slab should not be partially inside, but am really struggling to find clear regulations on this - it doesnt help that I do not know the correct terminology :(

Can anyone provide some advice, if this is normal and I need to suck it up, or if I am correct, and this is a bodged finish

Sponsored Links
Jeezus, where shall we start

It is contrary to various Robust Details and Accredited Construction details

It is contrary to Building Regulations - Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture (various sections)

and Part L1b - 5.5 Continuity of Insulation and airtightness

Contrary to NHBS Standards

5.1 - D13 Moisture from the ground shall be prevented from reaching the inside of the building

5.1 D14 (c) cold bridging - The design should ensure that any risk of cold bridging is minimised, giving particular attention to junctions between floor and external walls.

Contrary to various BRE guides -

BRE - IP 1/06 Assessing the effects of thermal bridging at junctions and
around openings

BRE GBG 47 Level external thresholds

..... and a few others, but its getting tedious now

In short, its crap

Woody...simply put THANK YOU

Had so many "customer care" reps from the builders feeding me waffle I was beginning to doubt my judgement.

I really appreciate you answering, and putting some of the reg breaches up...that will help the next site visit!

Yes, not good at all. If it's a new build house you are obliged to have a level threshold - but not one that allows cold, water and dampness to penetrate.

Sponsored Links
If that precast threshold has been wrapped with a DPC, is lapped into the DPM, if they've used suitable perimeter insulation & the door should have a suitable 'sealmaster' type level access threshold......wouldn't that be ok?

Obv. the the external patio needs to be done again to ensure it falls away, and if the falls on site are naturally towards that door a threshold drainage channel should have been installed also.

Its a concrete edging stone laid flat. Wrapping it in a DPC is not possible, and clearly it is not wrapped anyway

Thought I would post an update as I saw a lot of topics on here dont ever get the final result.

NHBC have just visited along with the builders head of customer service, I explained my issues with the threshold using what Woody posted, the NHBC agree and the builders are being forced to make it compliant with regulations to my satisfaction.

Thank you very much Woody, and the other people that posted, I probably would not have won the arguement without the knowledge you provided

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back